Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

we pull a RV from Texas to west coast and TN. AZ too hot to pull trailer with 8" tires behind RV so i want to transport atop ladder rack. Other kayaks are easy but not AI. This is a real challenge as rack is up high, and AI is heavy. Also does it matter if kayak sits on bottom or sb turned upside down? any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think i figured it out. tried putting on crossbars but that caused indent in bottom. Then explored the AI trailer and found the cradles are designed to attach to aluminum slotted cross bars so put cradle on Ada-rack and looks & fits great and secure. also bot a 1:7 block & tackle to hoist. Trailer is great for short distances but 6k miles and across hot Arizona in summer? not going to risk it. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuN3LtALtuL-qmqO3-WWYWI5hOXy?e=oCpOFt

Last edited by Hobie16 on Mon May 24, 2021 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

We pull a travel trailer with a TI on a ladder rack and had the same issue.

I posted on this before, if you do some searching you should find it. Anyway here is a quick answer. An aluminum ladder with PVC pipe bolted on to match the contours of the boat. Make a pivot for the ladder mount to the crossbar behind the cab and have the rear ladder rack crossbar removable. Add a pulley on the front of the ladder so you can pull it up the ladder. If you do everything right the boat/ladder will pivot just as it is all the way up the ladder.
Feel free to PM me for pics, include your cell number as that will make it easier and it you have questions just call me.

One of these days I will make a utube video of this. It works quite well and draws a crowd every time I unload/

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

wow didn't think about removing the rear crossbar! i do use a 7:1 pulley, save the back from crunching. and i took the cradles off Hobie trailer and install on al crossbar. fits perfectly. thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The cradles work but PVC pipe gives better support. But glad you found an improved process.