Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:28 am 
Site Admin

More direct pressure on the crossbar that locks the seat on. Adjuster bar up high. Seat in position. Wrap had around the seat and adjuster bar. Squeeze while you lift the back of the seat... be sure to raise it high enough to engage the lock shape into the seat bar. Lower the back of the seat and check the seat has locked to the adjuster bar. If not on one side... repeat with your hand directly over the side having an issue. Squeeze harder to snap the seat into the lock if needed.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So installing the seat the way the video shows or how I've always done it before on multiple kayaks, results in the seat almost never locking in. Using your suggestion I did find a technique that is somewhat successful. If I place my front hand around the seat frame and seat adjuster bar, where the side of my thumb/hand runs along the top of the seat frame and four fingers spread out along the bottom of the seat adjuster bar, and squeeze tightly right when it 'clicks' into place while rotating back, it sometimes works.

If used in this manner continually, my other concern is the area where the rear starboard corner of the seat frame contacts the hull. I don't believe that contact was normal before this issue arose. It's hard to be sure though as before this I never paid much attention to any of that as the seat just installed easily. The seat in my only other Hobie right now doesn't do that, but it's a Vantage CTW so that's different.

The mystery to me is what caused this seat behavior to start at a specific time. It was never an issue until after a certain outing, now the locking on of the seat definitely behaves differently. The seat was only a month or two old (used maybe 10 times) before this started. (It was a warranty replacement after the recline adjustment quit working on the original.)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RMDUjd8T4xCrnD5g7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sYxVM5RU6vv6Zgo2A
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yvzTunfXKqNF18Tu9

Old = 2010 Revo13, 2009 Adventure, 2013 Adventure, 2016 Outback, 2014 Adventure Island, 2018 Compass, 2019 Outback, 2015 Revo13, 2016 Oasis, 2015 Adventure, 2020 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

Something is likely twisted. Least likely the seat. Possibly the hull or somehow one side of the bar is higher than the other. Most likely the up/down bar ends? If one is not level with the other, the locking will not work on both sides without some force. Outer ends of the bar. Flat on top, Round structure just outside the seat before the gearbox. Flats must be on the same plane.

Check for damage to the underside of the seat bar.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

An update for my seat issue. Hobie sent new mounting hardware for the front seat bar, which was slightly modified from the original. My dealer did the install which took some fiddling to get to fit. That fixed the issue for me. Been out with it a few times and works a treat.

Very happy with Hobie’s customer service, as usual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old = 2010 Revo13, 2009 Adventure, 2013 Adventure, 2016 Outback, 2014 Adventure Island, 2018 Compass, 2019 Outback, 2015 Revo13, 2016 Oasis, 2015 Adventure, 2020 Tandem Island