Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'd go for a significantly upgraded one...

Motor mount would be great and hakas.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

rlepoid,

Yes, my mast looked exactly like that.

TC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good I found a use for my excess 2 feet by 2 inch KeelEazy tape.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It seems absolutely obvious to me that some substantial % of mast failures are occurring because the downhaul cleat rivet is damaging the outer surface of the masts. When I inspected my nearly new mast, there was already a distinct wear-line forming and I could easily feel a burred surface of the rivet, making a nice cutting tool for the purpose. Hobie needs to correct this design flaw if it's not already been done- the sail hardly needs a downhaul adjustment anyway since without a boom its always deeply cambered. I removed my cleat with zero performance hit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bluelaser2 wrote:
It seems absolutely obvious to me that some substantial % of mast failures are occurring because the downhaul cleat rivet is damaging the outer surface of the masts. When I inspected my nearly new mast, there was already a distinct wear-line forming and I could easily feel a burred surface of the rivet, making a nice cutting tool for the purpose. Hobie needs to correct this design flaw if it's not already been done- the sail hardly needs a downhaul adjustment anyway since without a boom its always deeply cambered. I removed my cleat with zero performance hit.

Amen!

I noticed the same thing after the first season with my 2015 AI2.

And the only reason I noticed it was that the cheap metal they used to attach the cleat totally corroded out - leaving the cleat half-detached:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... JaRW5TYzBR

The wear on my mast was not extreme, but still was pretty obvious:

Giving letter grades to my sail and sail bat, I would give it D- for materials and D for execution. ... I really don't know where all this "Hobie Quality" stuff comes from. ..... Warranty replacement so far, pretty decent.... But Quality ???

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The rivets on mine rusted away after about a year and that white plate came loose, I just removed the rivets and glued the plate down to the sail with marine epoxy, (I didn’t soak those rivets down when the boat was new).
The rivets on the batten pockets will also rust away in salt water, when my boat was new I soaked all those rivets with clearcoat spray paint before ever using the boat, (any rivets or any exposed steel I could find on the boat), all the rivets and steel remain nice and clean 5-6yrs later.
Think about it, when the boat is new you have to remove the sail to tape up the mast joint anyway, (otherwise the mast turns at the mast split when you furl). While your in there just put a second wrap of tape down near the bottom, ( to protect the mast from the rivets). Your in there anyway, might as well, lol.
3m electrical tape works very well, (make sure it’s real 3m tape and it has to be black, (UV)).
It’s really important to rinse everything really well with fresh water, ( including the sails) after any salt water use, that salt ruins everything.
Just tryin to help here
FE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My wife and I just went to the Palm Beach boat show and saw the tandem island there. We were about to order one but this is really concerning to come across this. Have the 2018's had this issue fixed? This looks like an obvious design flaw. We were so excited. :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:52 am 
Site Admin

A pad of material on the mast would prevent the rivet wear concern. Mast failures seem to relate mostly (%) an older vintage of boats. Understand also that masts are the most fragile part of any sailboat. They are designed to be as lite as possible. Rest assured that the over-all mast failure percentage is very low. You will find that we have a LOT of boats in use around the World with a wide range of age and condition, we hear about the extreme issues here. Mast failures are more common in over-loaded conditions. Higher winds with heavier loads in the boat. Roller reefing the sail in these conditions is recommended to reduce loads on this area of the mast.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the same thing happen at the end of my 2018 sailing season.
I have since repaired the mast by cutting away the damaged area and using a windsurffer mast that I epoxied inside the TI mast both above and below the break. The 8" of original Carbon fibre mast that was cut away was then filled up flucs with epoxy and glass cloth. It is just now in trials in light air to see how it will hold up.

BUT HERE IS THE REAL POINT OF MY POST.

My boat would float on a pin for days on end in between frequent sails.
Because of wind and surrounding land mass the boat would often point to windward on the pin but the waves would come into the bay out of the NE and hit her almost on the beam. The result was constant rocking back and forth with the unstayed mast bending a tiny bit left and then back right over and over and over. You ever take a piece of wire and bend it back and forth. Bend it sharp a few times and it breaks pretty quick. Bend it gently and just a bit back and forth. It takes a lot longer but it will break.

COULD THIS BE WHATS GOING ON?

HAVE ANY OTHER MAST FAILS KEPT THEIR BOAT ON A PIN?

I would love to hear any thoughts on this.

WILL REPORT ON REPAIR DURABILITY SOMETIME LATER ONCE REALY PUT TO THE TEST.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

We did have (as noted in this thread) some issues with the TI masts years ago. Mooring a boat is certainly a cause for hardware failures. The shaking breaks stuff. The masts though, can be overloaded. Heavy wind sailing and waves with more weight in the boat.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had my mast snap over the weekend. It was a different cause however. My upper mast bearing plate attached to the forward cross bar tore right off at the weld. this left the mast below the unfurler in the hull still with no support and that is where is snapped.

Anyone experience this type of failure?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9