Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt Or whoever I need to reach at Hobie.

I have a 2015 TI that I ordered new.
Last week I was down sailing in the FL120.
I was sailing downwind in light winds. Maybe 3-5kts. I have the spinnaker and it was up. I heard a loud thud sounds and the mast tilted over about 20-30 degrees at the base.
Doused the spinnaker, furled the main by hand. It was tilted too far to use the furling line. Pulled the mast out on the water and lashed it to the aka's and started pedaling.
I was in Pensacola Bay.
The previous day's sail very windy and I was using a small patch of sail, but on tacks it felt like the mast had too much play in it.

So.. Here are the pics of the damage.
In the 3rd pic you can see that the threads look crushed\stripped or something.

[img]https://photos.smugmug.com/Sailing/Tandem-Island/Mast-Mount-bolt-Sheared-Off/i-PVT7Kgg/0/929978d2/XL/DSC08205-XL.jpg

What should the bottom of the mast receiver look like?
Is this normal where it is rounded out where the bolt goes through or is this normal?

I have tried to get the remaining portion of the bolt out from the brass nut in the hull but I m not having any luck.

Advice, Next steps Thoughts?

All the pics are here..
https://paul-links.smugmug.com/Sailing/ ... eared-Off/

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=36284
https://www.hobie.com/au/en/forums/view ... 71&t=56099

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:16 am 
Site Admin

If you don't have the right tools, I would take it to a machine shop/mechanic to try and remove the screw. Likely mentioned in the links stringy attached, but keep the heat down during the process somehow.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt.
Jacques sent me an email yesterday as well.
I went up to my local dealer and talked with them about it. They arent a repair center but the gave me some good tips to go on. For now I have it soaking with P-Blaster until next weekend. I will try to get it using a left handed bit and extractor set.

Question about my mast receiver piece. Is the forward indentation on the underside supposed to be larger that the rear? It looks like the base has been chewed out, but the nubs in the bottom of the hull dont look like they have had any wear.
Is that what the bottom of the mast receiver is supposed to look like?
See the pictures above.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:17 am 
Site Admin

I'm guessing that the factory reamed it out to make room for the lump it sits on... they are inconsistent.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

left handed drill bit will take it out . go slow and keep it lubricated so you don't get hot and damage the hole threads too much.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt and Jacques, and those who chimed in.

I was able to back the remaining portion of the stud this afternoon. Once it finally started to move I felt SO much better. I was freaking out at the thought of permanently damaging my hull.
I'm heading up to Go With The Flow this evening to touch base with them and get some parts ordered.

Paul Links
Aero_70

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well done Paul!

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dear all AI users,

I'm very disappointed to encounter the exact same problem! (year 2015 too)
How is it possible to have this problem whit no extrem use and on a 12 000 euros boat ?!
The most disturbing thing is that the after market Hobie doesn't want to know anything (After market Hobie Netherland) ...it seems normal for us !
I think we can all agree that this situation is not normal, right?
To this day I tried everything but no solution allowed me to remove the broken screw.
I try to put WD40 ...i just ordered "PB Blaster" as stated above ...my last chance .... :-(

I don't understand all these people who report an efficient after-sales service, in Europe it is simply totally absent! :(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

@Yopcitron try with some screw extractor, here is a sample video:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

Thanks for your help.
it was my first step, i have searched a good quality extractor for this operation, but the screw is very small and the extracor is now break inside ... :-(
I have just received the " P-Blaster" ..i will try whit it (tried whith W40 before) ..we never said :-)

Last week, i called my local dealer and he said that he has a second Island whith the same defect, yet we have very few Hobie Island in France.
Does anyone know the percentage of people who had the same problem? It seems important.
I can't no longer use it since october 2019 ..:-(

Regards
Xavier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yopcitron wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for your help.
it was my first step, i have searched a good quality extractor for this operation, but the screw is very small and the extracor is now break inside ... :-(
I have just received the " P-Blaster" ..i will try whit it (tried whith W40 before) ..we never said :-)

Last week, i called my local dealer and he said that he has a second Island whith the same defect, yet we have very few Hobie Island in France.
Does anyone know the percentage of people who had the same problem? It seems important.
I can't no longer use it since october 2019 ..:-(

Regards
Xavier

Broken bolt extraction can be very difficult but is usually possible with the right skills and techniques.

Do you know anyone with a MIG welder? A rod can be carefully tack welded onto the broken bolt and then used to remove it. This is what I would try if a bolt extractor failed to work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I don't know if this is technically possible but it sounds like a great idea!
thank you for this idea

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yopcitron wrote:
I don't know if this is technically possible but it sounds like a great idea!
thank you for this idea

It's possible, I have a MIG welder and had to do this several times, not on the TI, but on other applications. You simply find a metal rod or bolt smaller than the one you're trying to remove. Then you carefully tack weld that to the stuck bolt. This only requires a small amount of heat so the bolt won't get too hot. You can douse it with water right after the weld to ensure it doesn't melt the plastic.

Once it's welded you can then rotate the rod with vise-grips to remove the stuck bolt.

If you know someone that's good with a MIG welder and can access the area, this should work. It has to be a MIG welder, no other type will work in this case due to the heat involved.

If you've exhausted all other options, it would be worth a try, it's better than leaving it broken.

The other thing I would try is to carefully tap the bolt stub with a very small chisel on the outer edges to try and rotate it out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for these details.
I had already looked for for a problem on my Victory CrossRoad :- ) but the Island Screw is smaller.
I will ask them about this problem.
Regards