Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My stern seat tiller handle seemed to be too flexible and wobbly so I removed the handle, pulled out the pin through the rod (axle) that came up through the hull and found that the piece of poly that is molded to a hex nut just below the deck had broken off. Having read that no kind of plastic glue seems to hold I am wondering if there is a repair kit that can be used to create a reinforced sleeve for the axle that is attached to the rudder line below deck that would allow the reattachment to the handle above deck with a washer and lock nut below and above the deck. SS washers should be available for this. As it is now I am stuck with no tiller from the stern seat.

Now I have been to two hardware stores, an auto parts store and Home Depot to look for through hull fittings I might use to solve the problem. I was hoping I might hear from someone at Hobie who could give me some guidance. I am also hoping that this experience might instigate a design change to the hull or deck mold that strengthens this tiller handle mount.
I will try to install some of the fittings I purchased this morning to create a makeshift through-deck support for the handle.
I have studied the on line manual and am surprised to find no mention of this handle anywhere!
Luckily there is a second handle for the bow seat still operational but I prefer to sit in the stern.
June 9:
I seem to have successfully solved my problem with a 3/8” brass nipple, two stainless fender washers, a neoprene washer drilled out to the diameter of the nipple, a short piece of 1/2” plastic tubing inside the brass nipple drilled out to the diameter of the axle, a brass coupling hacksawed in half to make two 1/4” thick nuts foe above and below the washers. A socket wrench was needed to hold the nut under the deck. I have a picture of the assembly but am unable to add it here.
I have now sailed with it and it is supporting the tiller very well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a similar issue with my Hobie Tandem Island. Bit different.

The tiller handle broke off while off-shore in the Atlantic Ocean yesterday....

I did a jury rig at sea by tying some kite line around the tiller handle (so I would not lose it overboard) and pressing down on the tiller handle. Not fun but it got me back safely to port.

A brief inspection at sea confirmed the stainless steel bolt that holds the tiller handle to the metal tiller axle broke cleanly off just above the axle attachment point. Looks like a combination of corrosion and a flaw in the bolt combined to fracture the bolt.

Problem - the broken off bolt is embedded in the axle mount point.....need recommendations on how to remove the portion of the bolt that is embedded in the axle attachment point. See pictures to illustrate the issue.

ImageBroken Hobie Tandem Island Tiller by Jim Powers, on Flickr

ImageBroken Hobie Tandem Island Tiller by Jim Powers, on Flickr

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

Last edited by powersjr2 on Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Left handed drill bits and extractor. If you don't have a set I do, you are welcome to borrow them.
In the mean time keep soaking it with a penetrating oil or Auto trans fluid.
Randy Cohen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Randy,

I did order a set of left handed drill bits.....currently soaking the culprit broken bolt in WD-40.

Planning on a hopefully short weekend project to repair the tiller. Will be replacing the forward tiller bolt also as a precaution. Figure to make this "replace tiller bolts" an annual tune up tasks....especially given frequent offshore sails in demanding conditions.

This is my second failure of this type (snap off of tiller bolt) on my TI. Last one was about 18 months ago.... exact same failure point.

May try to figure out some sort of sacrificial anode to limit corrosion in the future.

Will try to post a photo or two of the repair. Fingers crossed.

Jim

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i have a picture of my solution if someone can tell me how to post it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:10 am 
Site Admin

How to post pictures FAQ: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8574

Video provided by hobiefanatic

Watch full screen for best effect.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Success!

After a 24 hour bath in WD-40, a few hits with a metal punch, followed by some work with the left handed drill bit....the broken bolt began to move a bit. Some delicate taps with a small screw driver and hammer I was able to slowly rotate the broken bolt out of the tiller axle.....

A review of my options and looking for root causes for this failure....I decided to eliminate the tiller handle riser and return to the basic low profile stock tiller handle. Reason: I believe two factors contributed to the failure: a) hidden corrosion (due to salt water), even with rinses with fresh water, and b) periodic excessive horizontal forces on the tiller handle with riser (mostly due to hitting the tiller while trying to hop over the tiller on entry to the kayak (in active surf conditions).... I actually had my video cameras running pre, during and post tiller failure which helped me reach this conclusion. Hope to post the video to youtube in the coming days.

I also pulled the front tiller handle off the TI for inspection. As suspected this tiller handle showed the same level of corrosion. I am replacing the tiller handle bolts with 316 grade stainless steel. Plan on replacing these annually for safety.

See photos below:

Jim

ImageHobie Tandem Island Tiller Repair by Jim Powers, on Flickr

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I agree the riser does add to the issue and going to a better grade of stainless will help. I don't sail in salt water much but will look at mine this weekend, and the plastic AKA shear bolts. This is a good reminder to spend an hour on inspection/preventative maintenance for all of us.