Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We have a 2017 Mirage Island Tandem. It was only used for a few month last season (purchased new Labor Day weekend 2018), and we’ve just started using it this season.

I’ve found the Mirage Drive’s difficult to shift into reverse (actually, now it seems impossible!) on both of our drives.

Last year, we were able to get them to shift, but not easily.

I’ve read the FAQ, and understand that the paddles need to be within a certain “range” (not down completely or up against the hull). However, they won’t shift even with a lot of pulling and it doesn’t seem like it should be that hard to get the fins to flip around.

Since both of these are exhibiting the problem, I can’t imagine they are broken. Is there something else to try?

Do they need to be specially lubricated or something?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

This has been reported and extra effort on the shifter line was required. You can try soaking the drive to reduce mineral buildup during storage... Maybe use your hand to assist the fin/boom in shifting while pulling on the cord.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Interesting. We have basically pulled as hard as we could. One of the cords actually pulled off the lever and we had to re-attach it.

Even with the drives out of the water, we couldn't rotate the fins. It's almost like there's a lock mechanism that isn't disengaging properly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:55 am 
Site Admin

Frozen... corrosion or something... Maybe some penetrating oil up under the boom areas.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am having the same problem. I used my MD 180 ST Turbo fins once and the reversible function is wholly jammed. I have soaked it but the reverse/forward cords will not pull a millimeter in either direction. I called the dealer and beyond the advice you earlier gave, he could offer no more help.

Is there a decent video or other source material to show how to disassemble and identify the problem and repair by cleaning out and/or parts replacement?

This happened to both sets in the same manner at the same time in a saltwater/beach environment.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I took mine back to my dealer, and they replaced the "spine", the entire internal workings (except the pedals and fins) under warranty.

We are in a fresh water lake, so I was kind of surprised this happened.

I now make a habit of rinsing them with the hose after I pull them out of the water, and exercising the mechanism regularly. I also apply some of the Hobie lubricant from time to time.

They have stayed working "OK" since then, but a couple of times I did notice them starting to freeze again. After a lot of rinsing and lubrication, they started to work well again.

I do know my dealer contacted Hobie and they claimed that this was "unusual", but maybe people just aren't reporting it much.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well as it turns out after my first and last post a few days ago I went back to the original advice from mmiller Hobie guru and tried to free the blades up again with some penetrating spray oil, soaked the heck out of the mechanism with the oil, and used my hands on the blades to rotate them while pulling hard on the pull cords.

After a set-back when the pull cord for one direction came off its spot on the handle once and I re-attached that, low and behold, the fins started to turn and suddenly freed up. I then exercised the heck out of the mechanism and it got relatively easy to reverse again. The other set of fins proceeded similarly.

Heads-up I will definitely be rinsing the mechanism each time now but the reverse function on these fins jammed up fast while I was still using the sailboat the first day, although we did beach the boat several times. Again, the fins can jam fast and without drying out. I'd apply penetrating oil before each use now, too.