Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had such a good wind on Sunday that I ended up breaking something below my mast. Its the pin/screw thing that holds the bottom of the mast receiver to the v-frame to the bottom of the hull inside the boat.

Does anyone know of a quick DIY fix for this? I've ordered a part from Hobie, but is there something that I can get from my hardware store to do a DIY fix until that part arrives?

Thanks,
Alex
Singapore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

AlexManton wrote:
I had such a good wind on Sunday that I ended up breaking something below my mast. Its the pin/screw thing that holds the bottom of the mast receiver to the v-frame to the bottom of the hull inside the boat.

Does anyone know of a quick DIY fix for this? I've ordered a part from Hobie, but is there something that I can get from my hardware store to do a DIY fix until that part arrives?

Thanks,
Alex
Singapore

Hi Alex

Same thing happened to me last year. Luckily the boat was still under warranty. Biggest problem was the broken screw had to be extracted from the threaded fitting in the bottom of the kayak. Was taken back to Hobie Australia Headquarters and they spent many hours drilling it out.
Now I check the V brace regularly hoping that if it is always tight it won't happen again.

See https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=62352&p=299024&hilit=mast+rotation+problem#p299024

Good luck