Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, I have had my 2015 TI stored in under a Hobie cover and a tarp for the past year, a BCC forced me to forgo sailing last year (yes, I now have a pirate scar between the eyes), some tears in the tarp let leaves/water in and split the Hobie cover (not a great cover for the expense) and I have some brown water muck I’m trying to clean off the non-skid sections and also some parts that have dried out/deteriorated. The black parts of the steering handle, easy enough, but the balls of the speed seat drains are both deteriorating the black top portion (IDK how to upload a photo from my Mac, but have pix. I saw the video on posting pix but do they have to exist online already?) I can’t find a part number for that, is the ball plug replaceable by itself or does the whole unit need to be replaced? I don’t see it listed or shown in any of the parts diagrams, only shown in the 2017 manual (I have the Vantage seats on the 2015, but the manual shows the old seats).

And also, can anyone recommend a good soap for the non-skid that’s not corrosive? I have tried dishwashing liquid and also the Hobie boat cleaner (and a lot of elbow grease, sponge, brush) and it’s still hanging on. (Dune color.)

I’d like to get the rudder lines adjusted to straighten the steering handle alignments, have not been able to right it myself, and I don’t see a North NJ dealer listed that handles the Island boats. Can anyone recommend a Hobie service center that knows the TI in the area? NJ, NYC area?

Thanks,

ps. I just had someone from a marine store suggest acetone for the non-skid. That sounds to me like the most wrong thing in the world to put on plastic, or am I wrong?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Never use acetone on polyethylene, it can deteriorate or dissolve it.

Stick with detergents. If dishwasher detergent is not strong enough, try an industrial detergent. You can find these at Home Depot/Lowes

If you own a pressure washer, that can help remove stubborn stains. Use a wide nozzle, never a narrow one.

You can also try a detergent containing Clorox such as Clorox Cleaner and Bleach. Let it soak in for a while, then rinse with plenty of water.

Also, try using a Magic Eraser, but go easy as these are mildly abrasive.

For a list of Hobie dealers in your area look here. There has to be some in Northern NJ/NYC.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I removed my seat drain since the newer AIs ride higher and water doesn't come up the drain. When water does get in from a wave, it can drain faster.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks!