Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I Bent My Boat.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 2017 Tandem Mirage Island. I store it in a hangar at a local airport, And while pulling it out to go sail, I had a brain-lock, and I didn't pull it out quite far enough to clear the hanger door before lowering the door. The door is a 50 ft. by 20 ft. bifold that must weigh at least 3 or 4 tons. Anyway, I rolled the trailer up to my car, hitched it all up, and hit the button to lower the door. I used to fly out of this airport, and had another flying buddy with me to go sail. We naturally started blabbing about flying, and didn't notice the door coming down on the top of the TMI about a foot forward of the rudder gudgeon. I noticed this when the bottom of the stern was about 4 or 5 inches from contacting the hangar floor. The TMI actually BENT right at the rear of the rear trailer cradle without a sound! I glanced over, saw what happened, hit the STOP button, then raised the door. I got lucky, and it was a really warm day, and the hull and right ama that got bent returned to probably 99% of their original shape/alignment. Their is no visible damage to the top of the hull or ama. Only visible damage is where the hull and ama bent. Minor bulge/dimples. I couldn't find any cracks, and hull and ama have no leaks. Spent the whole day on the water with no issues. Only residual issue is the rear mirage drive now makes an audible "clunk" when the pedals go to full travel. Apparently, I must've knocked it out of geometry just enough so the drive fins contact the hull at full travel. My question is, have any of you had an experience like this, and if so, is their a possible fix to return the hull to the correct alignment? :oops: :oops:

Post subject: Re: I Bent My Boat.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

Actually the clunk is pretty normal if you take it to the stops. Maybe move the adjustment of the pedals a notch forward.

Glad it still sails!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The clunk didn't happen till I bent the boat. Also the drive in the back doesn't sit as low as it does in the front well. Tried both drives, only makes the clunk in the rear well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was out on it today, and everything seemed stone normal. I was out solo, but it goes FASTER that way! Miss the speed of my H16, and I'm considering another H16. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Matt....Thanks for the video link....that looks like it could do the trick for my dents. My dents are tiny compared to ones they did on that kayak. I'll report how it goes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Matt

Did the hot water/bicycle pump thing with the dented ama. It seemed to help. Those amas are STRONG! Dents were pretty small to begin with. I really got lucky seeing how the dents happened on a hot day, and everything pretty much returned to normal. Due to an unexpected rotator cuff injury, I put it up for sale. I'm getting something less physically demanding to launch and recover. Thanks again for the help with this issue, and hooking me up with Chris at Quest Watersports.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry to hear of the shoulder issue. Glad it all worked out!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)