Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a 2015 Tandem Islander recently and the up line broke where it connects to the rudder.
I decided to buy the replacement kit for all rudder control lines for around $60. The website said they came with instructions, they do not.
Hobie referred me to a video for changing out the rudder (which includes new lines).
The video shows spicing the existing lines to the new lines from the rudder, at the rear hatch opening, but the plastic sleeving is too long, making spicing virtually impossible.
I contemplate cutting the sleeving back but wonder if I am missing something?
In truth the plastic sleeves will never need replacing. A line replacement kit just needs short lengths of line and replacement nipples to plug into the ends of the plastic sleeves. If my experience is correct, the instructions would then just advise shortening the sleeve slightly before inserting the cord through the nipple and into the plastic tube, in order to facilitate splicing at the hatch opening.
Has anybody else faced this? Replacing broken rudder control lines has to be a fairly common problem?
Does Hobie offer the nipples as a replacement part or has anybody found an alternative source? I believe Hobie have just increased the price of their control line replacement kit.
Keith