Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well, i'm 60 + miles with mine so far. Still running smooth and quiet. Matt, when was this housing improved and do you know what was done ?... Its the same with full scale gear cases as well with the fishing line issue. Wondering what they did to the housing that keeps it from happening ? Thanks...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:51 am 
Site Admin

Torqeedo has made changes over the years and more the past two to address concerns we had. I don't know when they improved housing material, but that was way back. The prop O-Ring protection went into production last summer I believe. A reduced gap between prop and housing, a hardened cover over the seals to prevent line from reaching them.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You say last summer meaning 14 or 15? I purchased mine in Jan. 15
I might pull my prop and look.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

Summer 2015.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Please Forgive me in advance for being suspicious. This could have happened but I know I have hit a bunch of things and I know several people that use theirs in the Susquehanna and other Pennsylvania rivers that are nothing but rocks. You can't help but hit rocks there and they haven't had problems. I'm suspicious because someone joined the Hobie site just for this. We have already seen a certain owner of another kayak engine company join under a new name to promote their product over other products. In addition, the cost to replace the entire engine and shaft is either $600 or $650. The only thing you have to do is to slide stuff on and tighten less than 6 screws that would take a tool challenged guy like me less than 15 minutes. I don't understand why that would cost an additional $150.

Several years ago, I had trouble with my first Torqeedo. It bound up and stopped running. I sent it back to Torqeedo and they fixed it fast, for free and even replaced the steering triangle too (if I remember correctly). I was impressed.

If you experienced this then I apologize for my suspicions but this has not been my experience or the experience of the many people I have talked to that Have Torqeedos.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Memory Maker wrote:
Please Forgive me in advance for being suspicious. This could have happened but I know I have hit a bunch of things and I know several people that use theirs in the Susquehanna and other Pennsylvania rivers that are nothing but rocks. You can't help but hit rocks there and they haven't had problems. I'm suspicious because someone joined the Hobie site just for this. We have already seen a certain owner of another kayak engine company join under a new name to promote their product over other products. In addition, the cost to replace the entire engine and shaft is either $600 or $650. The only thing you have to do is to slide stuff on and tighten less than 6 screws that would take a tool challenged guy like me less than 15 minutes. I don't understand why that would cost an additional $150.

Several years ago, I had trouble with my first Torqeedo. It bound up and stopped running. I sent it back to Torqeedo and they fixed it fast, for free and even replaced the steering triangle too (if I remember correctly). I was impressed.

If you experienced this then I apologize for my suspicions but this has not been my experience or the experience of the many people I have talked to that Have Torqeedos.

No apology needed. I don't blame you for the suspicions. There's a lot of nefarious stuff that goes on in this day and time.
I'm not a competitor of Torqeedo and not connected in any way to other motor makers. I'm just a 65 yr old retiree that hates to be taken to the cleaners, and when surfing the net I saw the thread about Torqeedo. And yes, I joined to tell my story.

I do need to thank a person here for bringing my situation to the attention of Chad Hoover. I actually had already sent a message to him, which was suggested by someone over at YakAngler , but I don't think he saw that yet. So I owe someone on here some thanks. Must be a good group here.
When I talked to Chad Hoover today on the phone I gave him all the details of my situation, and I am happy to say that my faith in people has been restored. He is going to bat for me, and I am humbled to know that someone like him is willing to help out.
Now I'm not naive enough to think that all this is going to have a happy ending, but if anyone can resolve it, I think Chad is the one to do it. I didn't even buy the motor from Hook1, that's part of what impresses me. Wish I had bought it there.

Tom
Tallahassee Fl.
[email protected]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Memory Maker wrote:
In addition, the cost to replace the entire engine and shaft is either $600 or $650. I don't understand why that would cost an additional $150.

Yep the cost of the pylon is 599, but since the warranty coverage was refused, I have to pay the repair center for the labor they used in troubleshooting my motor, and of course shipping. The total actually came to $788 quoted to me by Michael at Torqeedo when we had our discussion. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Chad can help me out.

Again, I don't blame folks for being suspicious.
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

One thing I still don't understand is why, since the time, Torqeedo did not integrate a GPS on their system ( like I-pilot on Minnkota motors)... :?:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Felvic:
Yes that is very odd you would think for the price of these units (when compared to pretty much all others) they should be including gps mapping and auto pilot way point tracking and destination control. Think about it they already have 90% of the electronics neccessary in the unit, it would just mean some additional software be added to their torq trac software. This is not new tech, several other motor manufactures already have this. The interface could be accomplished with an Iphone app. Partnering up with Isailer or navtronics would be easiest. At that point the only remaining hurdle is range and speed (currently nowhere near what I would need for offshore), I can think of no more dire situation than being 3-5 miles off shore in detiorating weather fighting strong wind and current and running out of juice. For this reason alone I always carry at least 100 miles of extra fuel on board with enough reserve power to get me home. I've been in that situation in the keys way too many times where sailing to the best of my ability I couldn't overcome the wind and fierce currents enough to get back to the tiny island (Key West). Realistically IMO we are still probably still 20-30 yrs from a solution (enough speed and range for offshore) but I still have hope, and feel If anyone can do it Torqeedo is well ahead of everyone else.
My hope and dream is to complete the 300 mile Everglades challenge race in the experimental electric class (class VI) at an average speed of 8-10 mph. I will get there someday, it's just way harder than anticipated.
FE

Last edited by fusioneng on Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

felvic wrote:
One thing I still don't understand is why, since the time, Torqeedo did not integrate a GPS on their system ( like I-pilot on Minnkota motors)... :?:

You mean like this?

http://www.torqeedo.com/en/products/acc ... 24-00.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

fusioneng wrote:
Felvic:
Yes that is very odd you would think for the price of these units (when compared to pretty much all others) they should be including gps mapping and auto pilot way point tracking and destination control. Think about it they already have 90% of the electronics neccessary in the unit, it would just mean some additional software be added. This is not new tech, several other motor manufactures alread have this. The interface could be accomplished with an Iphone app. Partnering up with Isailer or navtronics would be easiest. At that point the only remaining hurdle is range and speed (currently nowhere near what I would need for offshore), I can think of no more dire situation than being 3-5 miles off shore in detiorating weather fighting strong wind and current and running out of juice. For this reason alone I always carry at least 100 miles of extra fuel on board with enough reserve power to get me home. I've been in that situation in the keys way too many times where sailing to the best of my ability I couldn't overcome the wind and fierce currents enough to get back to the tiny island (Key West). Realistically IMO we are still probably still 20-30 yrs from a solution (enough speed and range for offshore) but I still have hope, and feel If anyone can do it Torqeedo is well ahead of everyone else.
My hope and dream is to complete the 300 mile Everglades challenge race in the experimental electric class (class VI) at an average speed of 8-10 mph. I will get there someday, it's just way harder than anticipated.
FE

The Torqeedo cant be compared to others...its in a league of its own. All that stuff is useless when all you can do is a few miles at most anyway . Its like asking why "all the others" cant get past go on range and efficiency and why do they cost so much useing technology thats been around for well over 50 years....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Tom ........ I am on the Torqeedo Pro team and I contacted the HQ. Chad and the President are aware of it and will be in contact with you to see if they can make you happy. The are a first class organization and they care about their customers.

Also ....... There is a new app from Torqeedo that uses the GPS ...... Also they do have a battery that will power a yak for days but it might be a little large for a yak. Also they have engines that will make a yak fly buy they are built for larger boats. We have water around here that will only allow electric engines. There are 20 ft Jon boats with 2 Torqeedo engines that push them at 10+ mph all day.

Keep you eyes open for some new products next year ...... Mostly for boats.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

BTW....put another 14 miles on mine yesterday on the stock battery......the I- Pilot guy fell flat at the first turn. .... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The gps based navigation control (actual auto pilot steering) is just a wish list thing for me. My TI is a little larger boat so I could carry bigger batteries and possibly twin Torqeedo's however I don't have the money to afford what I would really like, in the mean time I'll have to endure my twin Hondas (55 lbs total weight) for a little longer. Hopefully someday...
FE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yak9107 wrote:

No, something like the Minn-kota I-pilot...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next