Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PA 12 vs. 14 Stability
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2019 Pro Angler 12. Yesterday I got caught in a very large wake, I took it straight on and the 12 handled it just fine, although I was a bit nervous. It got me thinking though, if I want to fish larger waters with alot of boat traffic does the stability, width and length of the PA 14 have a large advantage over the 12 or is it marginal? Does anyone have practical experience in this regard with both models?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've never been in a PA12 but I can tell you I've been a couple of miles off shore in the Keys in some chop on my PA14 and never felt threatened.
I also fish a lot in Tampa Bay which has lots of boat traffic anywhere near the launches and I just turn at least partially toward the wake and keep on trucking.
My PA14 has a custom 7" raised swivel seat I added, which puts me sitting a lot higher than the normal seat does and it still feels stable. I anchor off the front and fish off the back of mine a lot since it's easy to access the live well, and it's never felt tippy turning 360 degrees

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

In rough waters skinnier kayaks that have lower seat profiles (like the Revo 13 or 16) are actually more stable than wider kayaks like the Pro Anglers. I have a PA 14 and have had it 5 miles offshore off the Texas coast. I've had it in 7 foot swells and launched through 3.5 foot surf (yes I should not have even launched that day) and it did fine. I was tossed around a lot but never flipped. I also have a Viking paddle kayak that is over 6" more narrow than my PA and it is more stable in rough waters because there is not as much kayak touching the water therefore the amount of water (waves) that pushes the kayak is less. I don't explain it well but that's why most sea kayaks are under 30" wide.

IMO you won't gain much in stability going from a PA 12 to a PA 14. You will gain speed and efficiency due to the increased length.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The wider and flatter the hull, the more initial stability you'll have but the less secondary stability you'll have. On flat water a wider hull is more stable. On moving water, swells chop etc., a narrower hull is going to be more stable.