Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roof Top Transporting
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am getting a PA 12 360 in another month or 2 ( waiting for the dealer to call me) I will be transporting it on the roof of my Subaru Outback. On line I see some people just put a foam pool noodle over the crossbars and tie the kayak down and secure the bow and stern to the car. The other option is to install saddled to the crossbars that hold the hull in place and its then tied down in a similar manner.
Can someone tell me which of these 2 methods is better or is there a better solution. I will typically be transporting my kayak 50 miles round trip to local lakes with occasional longer trips I will also be alone most of the time. I am planning on getting an Rhino Rack TBar that connects to the trailer hitch to make loading easier.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

In general, the best way to carry a sit-on-top kayak is upside down on padded roof rack bars, but the PA 360 kayaks have controls and bars on their gunwales which may interfere with that, particularly since on Subaru Outbacks there are only two spacing options for the roof rack bars. If the equipment on the gunwales interferes with both of the available roof rack spacings, you'll need to get cradles for the kayak.

Here's a link to a description of how to load a kayak onto a vehicle from the side, using a towel or bath mat: https://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/i ... #msg204958

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I looked at the link to the Northwestkayakangers were they had a few possible solutions. I think I will start with putting the Yakima saddles on my cross bars and the PA would be too difficult to carry upside down. To muscle the kayak up there I may give the boat wheels on the back window as shon in picture a try or just a towel over the rear of car. If that works for me I’ll be happy I was thinking of getting the Rhino Rack tbar which would go into my trailer hitch and that would give me a lower height to place the front of the kayak and it will simplify sliding it on to the roof top carrier. There is a great state park around 20 miles from where I live that has 7 lakes to fish in but trailers are not permitted. So I need to find a way to make this work.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Brian,
Just a suggestion/precaution when car topping the PA-12.....AKA smaller beast!

While loading or unloading, if it's the least bit windy, the hull becomes an unmanageable sail and can easily damage your car or vehicles on either side where you park.
You really need two people for safety. Speaking from experience loading a Hobie Outback on top of my old 2007 Subaru Outback.

A T-bar is a good idea.

Editorial comment....I know most people don't like trailers, but in the long run it's a better solution for the PA's. I have a 2013 PA-14 and a Hobie Trailex trailer....no fuss, no muss and safe trailing, launch/recovery and storage inside my garage.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your info. Where I live in the Peoples Republic of NY trailers are not permitted on most non interstate highways and in the state parks that are near me they don’t have trailer parking. I belong to KBF local chapter and quite often we will meet up in a parking lot at a lake , river or bay and in those cases I will have help in unloading. The one current problem in getting the rhino rack tbar as it’s made in Australia and no one seems to have it in stock until May. I did find another rooftop carrier I’m looking at called the Lockrack xl it clamps the kayak to your crossbars and they say other tie downs are not needed

https://youtu.be/EjMq2K7EK3g

If I do get the Lockrack I’m also thinking of getting the Malone Channel Loader which will hopefully help in easing the load.

https://youtu.be/OCGZnGM0KjY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brian, understand!
Here is a hitch mount loader made by Yakima https://www.etrailer.com/Truck-Bed-Exte ... -1150.html

I am personally skeptical about using the window glass to attach the suction cup roller onto. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’ll check the Yakima unit out. I might give the Malone window roller a try as I can return it to Amazon if it doesn’t work. It’s a month or so before my kayak is delivered so I will be on the search for a doable solution. I haven’t found it but I also saw a suction cup roller that mounts at the top edge of the roof I’ll keep looking.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Brian10956, I loaded my 2020 PA 12 360 onto my Nissan Xterra Off Road SUV in Dec from Vancouver and drove it out to Calgary (925 km). I used the Rhino T loader to get it on top & had it nestled on the Yakima 'Big Catch' cradles (right side up). The Yak crades were simply bolted on to my existing OEM roof rack. It was tied down with the 2 straps supplied w/Yakima cradles and with bow & stern lines. It was rock solid all the way home! I would HIGHLY recommend both items for use on ANY vehicle! My SUV is fairly tall and the Rhino T Loader worked like a charm!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Curado wrote:
Brian10956, I loaded my 2020 PA 12 360 onto my Nissan Xterra Off Road SUV in Dec from Vancouver and drove it out to Calgary (925 km). I used the Rhino T loader to get it on top & had it nestled on the Yakima 'Big Catch' cradles (right side up). The Yak crades were simply bolted on to my existing OEM roof rack. It was tied down with the 2 straps supplied w/Yakima cradles and with bow & stern lines. It was rock solid all the way home! I would HIGHLY recommend both items for use on ANY vehicle! My SUV is fairly tall and the Rhino T Loader worked like a charm!

I’m probably going to do the same my Outback is about the same size as your Nissan I’m getting the big catch cradles however the Rhino t bar is not in stock at any dealers in the states. So I will just have to muscle it up without it. I was thinking of getting a trailer but my backyard where I can store the kayak has a gate that only 60” wide , not many trailers that are that narrow.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Brian,
My Hobie Trailex trailer is only 54" wide.....a curse and a blessing......the curse is it's quite narrow, so I mounted a 3' whip on the back outside edges of the cross bar in order to see it while backing up. You can see the white whips I glued into the spring mount.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
Hi Brian,
My Hobie Trailex trailer is only 54" wide.....a curse and a blessing......the curse is it's quite narrow, so I mounted a 3' whip on the back outside edges of the cross bar in order to see it while backing up. You can see the white whips I glued into the spring mount.

That’s a good idea to keep in mind. How to like the Trailex? If yours is the model with 8” tires how does it handle highway speeds. Have you done long trips. I’m looking at the same one but with 12” tire option as well as a smith trailer with similar stats except the smith is galvanized rather than aluminum. I expect 90% of my use will be freshwater the prices are close to each othe so it’s a tossup.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The trailer is really nice, very light weight and no issues.....I have the 5.70 x 8 tires on it and no highway problems. The tires only run @ 12 PSI..... keeps the ride smooth and does not bounce around or overheat.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The trailer is really nice, very light weight and no issues.....I have the 5.70 x 8 tires on it and no highway problems. The tires only run @ 12 PSI..... keeps the ride smooth and does not bounce around or overheat.

How did you attach the pvc pipe to the stock bunks, is it just a short bolt or lag bolt threw them and are each one just connected to the stock rear and front short bunks in 2 places. How secure is the pvc as if connected in 2 places I would worry that there would be too much movement.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The PVC is attached by using 1/4 x 20 SS bolts, fender washers and NyLock nuts.
Drill a 3/8" hole straight through the PVC and then enlarge the top hole to 1". This allows a socket to hold the bolt head while "loosely securing the nut".

Once the PVC is located on the trailer bunks, drill a 3/8" hole through the wood 2 x 4's......feed the bolt and fender washer from the inside of the PVC through the hole in the bunks and use the second fender washer under the nut. Do not over tighten the NyLock nut so the tube has some slight wiggle room.

The couplers used to angle the PVC are 11 degrees.

I added the indoor/outdoor carpet with contact adhesive after I was done mounting the PVC pipes.

I purchased the trailer new in 2011 and l no issues after 10 years.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The PVC is attached by using 1/4 x 20 SS bolts, fender washers and NyLock nuts.
Drill a 3/8" hole straight through the PVC and then enlarge the top hole to 1". This allows a socket to hold the bolt head while "loosely securing the nut".

Once the PVC is located on the trailer bunks, drill a 3/8" hole through the wood 2 x 4's......feed the bolt and fender washer from the inside of the PVC through the hole in the bunks and use the second fender washer under the nut. Do not over tighten the NyLock nut so the tube has some slight wiggle room.

The couplers used to angle the PVC are 11 degrees.

I added the indoor/outdoor carpet with contact adhesive after I was done mounting the PVC pipes.

I purchased the trailer new in 2011 and l no issues after 10 years.

I will be making my decision today I’ll either be getting the Trailex or the Smith. The smith is around 300 less with similar specs however it has 12” vs 8” tires and weighs more as it’s galvanized I’m leaning towards the Smith . Thanks to Dr S Catcher for their advice and recommendations. Hopefully at months end I’ll have my kayak and I’ll be able to post a photo. The hardest part is waiting for the lakes to defrost as I don’t want to venture in salt water until the Spring