Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 10
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Hobie sailors! A friend has just offered me a free Hobie, a Hobie 10. I've never heard of it before and can't find anything about it on the web. I inspected it and it is, as the name implies, 10' long. It has a two-piece mast and is complete with boom, rudder and daggerboard, and a pretty decent sail. a very brief wikipedia entry described it as Hobie's answer to the Laser.

the hull is nice on the bottom and rough on the top. the top has a thin layer of plastic and beneath it is styrofoam. the foam is visible through some of the broken plastic. anyone here familiar with it? I couldn't see how the boom attaches to the mast. there was a short metal rod with a disc on the end of the boom that slid in and out of the boom an inch or two.

the hardware is in great shape and i'd love to repair or replace the hull and go sailing. any info is greatly aprpeciated.

[email protected]

Post subject: Re: Hobie 10
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:39 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

john madill wrote:
[snip] . . . the top has a thin layer of plastic and beneath it is styrofoam. the foam is visible through some of the broken plastic. anyone here familiar with it? . . . [snip]

The Hobie 12 Monocat and Hobie 10 monohull were made of molded ABS plastic filled with styrofoam. The foam provided positive flotation and a rigid backing to the ABS, which doesn't have much strength on its own. The ABS is also not very UV resistant; it yellows and gets brittle.

They had a bad habit of leaking water in, but not letting it back out. The consequence was they got heavy. Really, really heavy.

Yours has a very obvious leak. My guess is it's heavy, and not worth fixing. Pictures would help.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Agree with Matt. We had a Hobie 12 and two Hobie 10's, when they were new.
Couple of years ago we had a Hobie 12 donated to Sail Sand Point in Seattle. It was water logged. Took four people to lift it. It can not be dried out, and repaired.
Caleb Tarleton

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the hull is very heavy. but the spars and sails are in good shape. i'll put the hull out in the back forty and try to find a use for the other stuff.

does anyone know the square footage of the sail for this boat?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:59 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

There's a Hobie 12 MonoCat on eBay right now. Even through the guy claims it's been in a barn for 34 years, it's got a hole in the ABS on one side.
Hobie 12 on eBay

Just from the pictures, I can tell it weighs a ton:
It's sitting on the waterline it should have with a person on it - yet there's nobody on it!
Low rider
It's almost swamped!

These boats are poster children on why you should never fill a boat with foam.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have a blue Hobie 10 that we purchased in mid-80's, and used regularly until we purchased a Wave this summer. The boat is *very* heavy, and takes two adults to carry. But it sails incredibly well, even in light winds. Very stable, and the large sail area generates a lot of speed for a monohull.

Sail, spars, daggerboard, and rudder are in good condition. Hull is cracked around the cockpit drain, and is in need of repair. Probably an easy fix for someone with the right skills. Where is the best place to find a new owner? Craigslist? eBay? Here?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

LkGeorgeWave wrote:
The boat is *very* heavy, and takes two adults to carry.

Probably an easy fix for someone with the right skills. Where is the best place to find a new owner? Craigslist? eBay? Here?

Having sold a few of these boats new at our dealership in Key West, I can tell you that once the plastic skin was compromised, there was nothing that could be done to make a proper repair!

They still leaked and just got heavier and heavier.

There is no one that has "the right skills"! R.I.P.

Wave #100
H20 #287 "Tallahassee Lassie" (down in FLA)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is there anywhere we can buy a Hobie 10 sailboat rudder nowadays?

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I saw a post that someone was looking for a rudder. Just an FYI, I have a Hobie 10 for sale, includes sailboat, sail and storage bag, mast, boom, rudder, daggerboard.
Need a vessel for your mooring? Or need parts for your Hobie 10? Best offer and local pick up only.
Posting on other websites as well. Email: [email protected]