Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Los Angeles Storage
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello!

I am considering purchasing a Hobie Cat 14 or 16 in Los Angeles and I am trying to find the best storage option. First off, I would much prefer not to trailer because I have never trailered, so I am trying to get creative.

I found many different dinghy racks and beach storage places. Marina del Rey has a dinghy storage rack which I called and found out that there is a 1.5-year waitlist (so that is not an option anymore). Long Beach also has a dinghy storage rack, but it is very far away from Santa Monica which is where we live. Santa Barbara (which is a 2-hour drive) has a beach catamaran storage at Leadbetter Beach. I have a map online of all of the options here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1IDz9sOj0y2Lnup_lWJKIyBsBvvNbLDQj&usp=sharing. If you think so, I can also use a roof rack, but I read another post that said that was a bad idea.

Which storage is best? Should I learn to trailer?

Thank you so much,
Elliot

Post subject: Re: Los Angeles Storage
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can’t comment at all about the storage options, but as far as trailering goes, it’s really not that big a deal. It can be a little intimidating at first, but after a few trips, you probably won’t even really think about it. Hobies and their trailers are very light compared to other boats, so with many cars, you won’t really notice much change in acceleration or braking. The main things are to take turns a little wider than normal, be sure to check check carefully when changing lanes, and use some extra care when going through toll booths. The other hurtle can be backing up the trailer, which takes some practice. But the nice thing about the boats being so light is that in most cases, if you get into trouble you can just unhitch and wheel the boat by hand.

As far as car topping goes, yes it has been done, but really isn’t a practical option in most cases. First off, you would need a roof rack that is strong enough and wide enough to handle a 250-350LB, 8 foot wide boat. You would almost certainly also need some assistance getting the boat on and off the roof as one or two people putting it up there is probably not enough hands to do the job safely.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you SO much for the response! I will try to tow.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The main problem with towing the boat instead of keeping it at a beach, is the setup time. It'll take you 30 minutes to an hour to step the mast, get the sail up, mainsheet on, and all the fiddly little things done that need to be done.

On the other hand, towing a boat gives you more flexibility for sailing. I keep my Getaway on the trailer in a storage shed, and I have at least a dozen sailable lakes within 75 minutes of my house, and many more within a couple - three hours (I live in northern Illinois at the Wisconsin border).

When I first got my Getaway, I kept it mast up, on the trailer, in a Lake Michigan marina. 10 minutes to hit the water, but I saw pretty much the same scenery every time I sailed, with a couple hours north, or a couple hours south.

Then you have to add the setup time to that transit time. I always figure 5 hours of transit and setup time as overhead time on a sailing day. Fortunately, I'm now retired, so what the hey! I figure on a 10-12 hour sailing day (including lunchtime break).

My solution was given to me. A friend gave me a free Sunfish, and there's a little lake (160 acres) 20 minutes away. So if I only have a few hours, I can take out the Sunny on the local puddle.

Towing is not difficult. Backing down the ramp takes some practice.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks!