Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yakattack Tracks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi. I would like to ask about the GT-175 GearTrac. I own o Hobie Adventure Island. Do you have any experience if the 12' trac can fit at the side of the kayak parallel to the pedals as at this point the Adventure island is very narrow compared with the Outback? I include a picture of the point on the kayak where the Trac can be placed. Also do you know if the Ram ball I attach is compatible with the Trac? If it does not fit should I go with the GT90 track? Is there any other track available I can use? I would like to add a fishfinder and a rod holder at this track. Thank you very much in advance for your reply.

Post subject: Re: Yakattack Tracks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have an 8" track there with the FF on that Ram ball, and a cleat for a quick release It is a total PITA to get nuts on the screws at that location, but with patience
t works.
Location is great.
Used to have the ff located on the front aka crossbar, but on the trak it is much more accessible

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

coachstevo wrote:
I have an 8" track there with the FF on that Ram ball, and a cleat for a quick release It is a total PITA to get nuts on the screws at that location, but with patience
t works.
Location is great.
Used to have the ff located on the front aka crossbar, but on the trak it is much more accessible

Thank you for your reply. So which rail do you use? The GT175 or the GT90? Or something else? I think that the GT175 is too wide for the AI.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the an 8" GT175 mounted on my AI. It fits fine.

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

SDN wrote:
I have the an 8" GT175 mounted on my AI. It fits fine.

Scott

thank you again. I think I will go with this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If at all possible use the GT90 track with full back. You can install the 12" onto the T1 and AI using the rigging bullet.

CC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Chopcat wrote:
If at all possible use the GT90 track with full back. You can install the 12" onto the T1 and AI using the rigging bullet.

CC

thank you. I too think that the full back system is more rigit thatn the GT175. Although the last one looks better. Is the full back system installed inside the kayak? I mean in the hull?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

GT90 with the backing plate is the way to go. The GT175 is overkill IMHO.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

dregsfan wrote:
GT90 with the backing plate is the way to go. The GT175 is overkill IMHO.

And I think less holes on my yak :) oh are the rigging bullets necessary for the installation of the backing plate or can I use the bolts supplied with the GT90?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Silly question, but why do you want to attach such a short track in the first place? Why not just bolt the ram ball to the deck?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tonystott wrote:
Silly question, but why do you want to attach such a short track in the first place? Why not just bolt the ram ball to the deck?

You are right had to explain. I want to attach a FF, an arm for the transducer and a rod holder with three Ram balls (one for each) on the same side of the yak and still be able to move them on the track when it is needed, so as to have more choices to relocate objects. I hope that the 12" rail can handle all three. Should I go with the 16"?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Rigging bullets are a help. Another way is to drill the holes for the trac, then thread some small dia. weedwacker line or heavier fishing line through two holes in the trac and the corresponding holes in the hull. Push the lines to the nearest hatch. Run both ends to the corresponding holes on the backing plates and tie the loose ends tightly together. Go back to the trac and pull evenly up until the backing plate is against the inside of the hull. Start a couple of the screws (sometimes it's easier to use longer screws just to get the threads started). When all screws are near snug, cut the line and let it fall into the hull. This is all rather hard to explain here. I believe there are videos showing this technique on YouTube. Good luck.

slygizos wrote:
And I think less holes on my yak :) oh are the rigging bullets necessary for the installation of the backing plate or can I use the bolts supplied with the GT90?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

dregsfan wrote:
Rigging bullets are a help. Another way is to drill the holes for the trac, then thread some small dia. weedwacker line or heavier fishing line through two holes in the trac and the corresponding holes in the hull. Push the lines to the nearest hatch. Run both ends to the corresponding holes on the backing plates and tie the loose ends tightly together. Go back to the trac and pull evenly up until the backing plate is against the inside of the hull. Start a couple of the screws (sometimes it's easier to use longer screws just to get the threads started). When all screws are near snug, cut the line and let it fall into the hull. This is all rather hard to explain here. I believe there are videos showing this technique on YouTube. Good luck.

slygizos wrote:

Thank you. It makes sense.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Oops! :oops: Didn't see the arrow on your photo. You won't need to do the above. You can reach everything through the center hatch. If working alone, thread a couple studs through the backing plate. Push the BP up against the inside of the hull. Pop the trac over the studs, pull up and start the other screws.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

dregsfan wrote:
Oops! :oops: Didn't see the arrow on your photo. You won't need to do the above. You can reach everything through the center hatch. If working alone, thread a couple studs through the backing plate. Push the BP up against the inside of the hull. Pop the trac over the studs, pull up and start the other screws.

:D :D :D Yeah I think it is ok to go through the center hatch. It is the only way. My only concern is the length of the track.