Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's been a frustrating May, just as the weather warms up nicely we had torrential rainfall. Only 7 days in May where we didn't have heavy rains or storms!

On the plus side, all that water did nicely fill the two lakes nearest to me. (Unfortunately also causing incredible flooding and damage farther east and south.)

Yesterday I headed to the nearest lake - all of two miles from the house! - for my first sail on it. It isn't very large, but is fine for the TI. About the time I'm getting bored with going in a straight line I'm at the far bank! :lol:

Met a friend there who had recently upgraded to a yellow TI as well so we had two of them out on the water.

The day started out overcast and rather cool - had to wear the wet suit, where am I again? In Oklahoma we're usually melting by now! The sun started to break through the clouds though and it turned out quite pleasant. The winds were perfect, the best sailing I've had with the TI so far.

A 14 minute sampler of our afternoon:

https://youtu.be/TDlfLF_uwyM

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like a good case for spray skirts Joe.
I wish I could back a trailer that fast :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice!

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks like a lot of fun. I took my son out this past weekend for the first time and had a good time too. I need to get a camera to take some video.

Curious, I see you have the wood aka bench. I want to make me some. What type of wood did you use?

thanks
Ron

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I used 6 foot lengths of "select pine" from Home Depot. Didn't seem very "select" to me, had to go through two big piles to find 12 decent boards! Used Minwax Spar Urethane to finish them, three coats one per day.

ChangeMan, I'll probably get some spray skirts next fall/winter once it's cold again. Right now (the unseasonably cool Saturday in the video aside) getting thoroughly soaked is part of the fun! :lol: Although I do notice a strong braking action when the water hits the aka knuckles, might be worthwhile to put them on now if they help to reduce that effect.

The people in my neighborhood probably wish I could back a trailer that fast too. Boat ramps are easy, since I can get straight before heading back. I usually have six or seven cars waiting on me by the time I can get the darn thing back in the driveway! :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lol! I'm the same way trying to back into my driveway. It doesn't help that the neighbors like parking on either side of my driveway either. I'm getting better though.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Randomjoe.

Are they 1X4's? if so, how did you get the look of one piece of wood at the ends?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

They are 1x3s. I used four flat with a fifth on edge down the center to stiffen them. The stiffener is full width all the way except the ends where I cut it down to the width of the flat boards so the hakas lay flat on the akas. There are four "stringers" going across on the underside, the two at the ends are full width while the two in the middle are two pieces on either side of the center stiffener. I then cut little "fingers" (remember to get the grain right!) to glue in the gaps between boards on the ends for the solid look.

This picture of them is just after assembly and before finishing. Shows the underside. Once I had finished them I applied some truck bumper tread material to the ends where the akas sit. The narrow flat area (at the bottom in the pic) fits over the front aka with the wider area mostly cantilevered over the rear aka.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the details. I understand now what you did. Nice job!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I concur. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Liked it so much the first time I did it again today... :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhnjcjZ_A48

Went "simple" today - no hakas, just the one camera, less "stuff". Wasn't sure I was going to REALLY enjoy it - been sick for three days. Finally feeling better and going nutz staying inside so off I went.

Had a BLAST! This is the sort of stuff I yearned for with the Outback last year, find a windy day and go play in the waves, only then I had to supply all the propulsion. It sure is a lot more fun when the wind does all the work! :mrgreen:

It's a sultry 91 degrees today, ohhh that water felt GOOD!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Had my TI out today in almost exact same conditions! Only difference was I had the whole family (all five of us). What a blast! Filled the boat with water a couple of times :mrgreen:

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks like fun! I had to cut grass! :cry:

Planning on going out next weekend. :P

Curious what type of camera do you use to record your trips. I would like to get one, but don't want to spend a lot of money.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I broke down and hired someone to tend the lawn. I just haven't been interested since getting a kayak... :lol:

My current camera is an older Contour Roam. Works, but very basic. Doesn't connect to a phone or anything like newer models.

One thing I like about the Roam is that it's waterproof as-is to (can't remember) 3 ft or 3 meters. Anyway, I don't need a case for it for use on the kayak. All the others that I've looked at do, which renders the audio recording basically useless. (Granted, on my TI videos it's mostly wind noise - I keep meaning to try gluing one of those sports mic wind screen foam balls over the mic and see if that helps.)

I've looked at some others, would like some of the newer features like GPS tagging, remote control whether with a phone or dedicated remote, etc. One I've thought about getting is the Drift Ghost, it doesn't have GPS but does have a simple remote, screen to see what you're getting, and is waterproof to 9 feet. Almost bought a Contour+2 a couple weeks ago since it has GPS and is otherwise like my Roam - then noticed it's not waterproof, needs a case.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a GoPro Hero 4 Silver that I love. It's not waterproof by itself, but they do supply the waterproof case with the camera. It doesn't have built in GPS, but you can connect it to your phone or a dedicated remote via wifi and you can always overlay GPS data using other software. It doesn't seem to pick up too much wind noise either.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas