Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Cat Trailer Build
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys, I'm not new to sailing but I am a new Bravo owner... I needed a trailer and could not find what I wanted, (for a price) So I built one. Check out the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2bmSKdvUVI

I had a lot of fun doing it and it turned out better than I could have expected. In the process I have some templates and some developed components that y'all may be interested in. How to store the mast etc.

Regards,

HH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That's a nice build!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice work! It reminds me of my old Hobie 17 trailer. I built a rectangular sailbox for it, that I had drop on kayak racks for. I stored the sailboat hanging from my garage rafters, and lowered it onto the trailer for use. When we wanted to kayak, I'd put on the kayak racks (took about 30 seconds) and loaded on the 5 kayaks.
Human ingenuity is wonderful!

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the comment...! The plumbing PVC is handy for mast stowing. I might have it cantilevered out too far, but this is an easy to quickly get the mast captured for transport. I will post pictures if I can figure out how to do that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So, here is some more detail. This is the Hatch Build.

https://youtu.be/iVi_6_sg1_0

(whoops... had a spelling error and had to delete and then change the video link. This one is good)

I know that there are probably better ways, but our approach is to be low maintenance, and low "bling". I need to add a handle on both, and a vent the aft hatch, and am toying with a hinge open feature for the large stowage bay.

I will add something for the mast tie-down soon. Hey, too cold to go sailing (for us warm weather dudes) so I'll keep tweaking the design!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice build and thanks for sharing. I am also in the process of modifying the exact same Harbor Freight trailer for my Bravo. Would you mind share the detail of the mast support PVC built both front and back? especially the rings at the A frame gate.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Chen,

I sent you an email with some pictures.

I need to do a better job... Hopefully you can get some ideas from them. But in the next week or so I will detail them out better. (I got everything from Lowe's)

Using a "T" fitting works to capture the mast fore and aft. The bungee cord is not enough... when I got on the road, I needed a tie-down strap there. The height of the front support has to do with what your tow vehicle is. It has to clear because the mast will extend over the back trunk of a car or truckbed.

The area around the clamp is key... that is what makes this so easy to implement. That spool that locks in is something that I had to customize by doing some dangerous maneuvers on the table saw! If done over I would look for a better candidate on the plumbing isle... maybe a sink drain flange?

Good luck and let us know how you're doing!

HH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HH,

Really appreciate that you take time to respond to my questions. The photo helped a lot. Still not quite sure how you did the rear mast support, the upper insert to the rudder pin. There looked like a locking pin as well. Any concern on the weight put on the rudder pins.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HH, I have watched your video several times. Not only is it a great build from Harbor Freight, as a city slicker, I don't have the power tools and see that Harbor has some at a great price. Thank you--did you have specs or plans for this to share or purchase?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Hyped,

I am finally getting great use from the trailer. Making good use of the additional capacity.

I am assembling some of the drawings. As with any design if you do a sketch, the final result varies a bit and I am updating some dimensions. I will send some .pdf files to your email. No charge, just looking for feedback and ideas for improving the concept...
Now that I've had it out on the road, in traffic and monsoon downpours, I adjusted the mast (step) holder, and the Rudder (pintle mounted) mast holder.

I have found that suspending the mast from the boat itself rather than some Rube Goldberg trailer apparatus works great.