Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question on Fish Finder
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New to fish fishfinders and was hoping someone could explain the difference. Looking at entry level fish finders

Fairly large difference in these fish finders, when would someone use down imaging.

https://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-000-126 ... e+elite-3x

https://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-000-126 ... ce+hook-3x

My main use will be for bass fishing, not sure that down imaging is really necessary. Any other reasonably priced units that provide more functionality?

Really like this unit, but not sure that I can mount the transducer. Don't see anyone else using this.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-01550 ... ish+finder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I use mine like is shown in this Lowrance image. The downscanning (bottom) shows structure in the water like logs, weeds, branches, rocks...the normal sonar (top) shows arches for fish but does not show structure correctly, it often looks like a fish arch.

This isn't a great example check the center bottom of both images, the downscanning is showing some sort of structure down there but the upper sonar image does not make clear what it is.

For any fishing, and especially bass fishing, I would always want both.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Hook 4 is a good starter unit, which I recommend. It has many of the advanced capabilities of the larger, more costly units at a much lower price point. CHIRP sonar plus DownScan imaging provides you with the best combination picture of bottom structure and fish. Built in GPS and trackback sonar history allow you to relocate that hot bite zone and log important data such as speed, mileage, etc. 3-panel viewing allows you to see all screens at once. The unit has built in Basemap with 3000 lakes as well as optional mapping including Lake insight and Nautic insight map cards and well as Navionics premium and Navionics+, insight Genesis to create custom maps.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a Hook4 this year, and really like the many options. Fishing channels I find it most useful for staying in the deeper water. This summer it was fluke (summer flounder) fishing, so the actual "fish" finder portion was not a real help.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sonar and downscan imaging are pretty standard these days. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, that is why most people use the combo screen. I find navigation/charting just as important. Being able mark spots, see gradients, plan trips, makes me much more efficient in the kayak. With something like Navionics+ I am able to see very detailed images with bathymetry... so if I want to fish shallow shelves, or deep ridges, they are easily located. It lets me dial in my fishing, especially on lakes I am less familiar with.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After everyone's comments, pulled the trigger on this fish finder. Seemed like a really good deal compared to some of the other units I was looking at. Thanks for the comments.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/GARMIN-E ... 6CQ_st%3Db

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

gabe1475 wrote:
After everyone's comments, pulled the trigger on this fish finder. Seemed like a really good deal compared to some of the other units I was looking at. Thanks for the comments.

that looks like a really good unit and a great price, I have lots of good Garmin stuff but have never tried one of their sonars, I am interested to hear how well it works on your kayak...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

rogerdodger wrote:
gabe1475 wrote:

that looks like a really good unit and a great price, I have lots of good Garmin stuff but have never tried one of their sonars, I am interested to hear how well it works on your kayak...

Will keep you updated. Arriving tomorrow, but we are going to Vegas so the install will not happen until Sunday :( . Next Friday will be my first trip out with the fish finder.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I ended up returning the fish finder as the transducer was too large for the lowrance ready opening. In the end I went with a Garmin Striker 4. Have only used once and perfect for depth, speed, and finding fish?? Well we only got one this trip, but hope there is a learning curve involved. :wink:

I know there are options to change out the lowrance plate, but was not sure if that would work with a garmin transducer. Thanks again for the advice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

gabe1475 wrote:
I ended up returning the fish finder as the transducer was too large for the lowrance ready opening. In the end I went with a Garmin Striker 4. Have only used once and perfect for depth, speed, and finding fish?? Well we only got one this trip, but hope there is a learning curve involved. :wink:

I know there are options to change out the lowrance plate, but was not sure if that would work with a garmin transducer. Thanks again for the advice.

am I correct that the Striker 4 is just normal sonar, no downscanning?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, regular sonar. No down imaging.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The Striker 4dv comes with Downscanning sonar. It's about 50 bucks more than the basic Striker 4.

If you're willing to dish out a little extra, the Raymarine Dragonfly models are, great, but will run you a couple hundred more: http://citimarinestore.com/en/14-raymarine. Especially the PRO models. Better image than the Striker's, in my opinion, but the Striker still has a pretty clean image.

Really can't go wrong with either if you're going for an entry level model.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What's your budget? There are lots of fishfinder options available. You may check the options on this one too: http://www.outdoorgearup.com/best-fish-finder/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Budget wise and what professionals say, my top 3 picks are as follows:
    Garmin Striker 4 as it’s undoubtedly the best fish finder for the money in 2021.
    LUCKY Portable Fish Finder if you are extremely short on budget.
    Lowrance HOOK2 if you want to see accurate readings and crystal clear display without any hassle.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In my experience Garmin Striker 4 is the best option for bass fishing. Whether you are a serious or casual bass fisherman, using a fish finder can seriously "up" your game. You can track structure, sunken objects, schools of baitfish, and even the bass themselves. On some fish finders, you can see your reel as you cast it and bob it up and down.