Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outback 2017 Fish-finder
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all - Could you please let me know what fish-finder would you recommend for an Outback 2017 with a transducer that does require minimum/no modification to the kayak?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since your 2017 Outback is equipped with the "Lowrance ready" transducer pocket......it will also accept a Humminbird transducer, if you purchase the Humminbird adapter, there are several options available based on your $$$$ budget.

I personally am partial to Humminbird units, due to the reliability factor based on my experience vs Lowrance units. Lowrance has nice features, if they don't fail. They have a good warranty, but the time out of service is a pita.
My Humminbird #768 is now out of production, but has been trouble free with hundreds of hours use, since July 2011.

I would also recommend buying a unit that has the GPS built in for saving locations, speed, time and distance or just navigation alone.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks very much Dr. SteelheadCatcher. This is helpful. How about transducers? How necessary is to have a totalscan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
I personally am partial to Humminbird units, due to the reliability factor based on my experience vs Lowrance units.

My feeling is opposite. Humminbird are not "open", you can't access to directories and files (write in python langage).

And you can't have a Navionics card and record logs at the same time. On Lowrance you can....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would recommend a unit with GPS, hands down. Beyond that, it really depends what your budget is. The Hook 5 is a good starter unit. The 5" screen is large enough to see easily from your seat, and it's a user friendly unit to begin with. The Elite 7Ti is the only unit we offer that comes standard with the TotalScan Transducer. The touch screen is a nice feature, and you can do quite a bit more with this unit. The Elite 7Ti comes at a higher price and takes an aftermarket accessory plate to mount (Hobie part no. 72020207), so take that into consideration.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just installed a Lowrance Hook 4 in a 2015 Outback and it was easy peasy. I bought it on sale with the insight map for $199. One recommendation I will make is to buy the Hobie install kit rather than piece together the parts. You can save some money buying the parts separately but you will burn up the savings chasing the small parts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hook have a poor processor... :(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I got LOWRANCE ELITE 5 Ti with regular transducer . Very please with it.

My prior Hook 5 ( two of them) leak water at the SD card door. Yes, twice failed. ( warranty replacement,of course)

The Elite 5 Ti has better SD card door design , waterproof better. Very important to our kayak fisherman....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

da22y wrote:
I got LOWRANCE ELITE 5 Ti with regular transducer . Very please with it.

My prior Hook 5 ( two of them) leak water at the SD card door. Yes, twice failed. ( warranty replacement,of course)

The Elite 5 Ti has better SD card door design , waterproof better. Very important to our kayak fisherman....

Do you feel the screen is a little too small to view the imaging when using split screen? I hear great things about the Elite Ti series, and need to get to the store to check them out. Many have said to get the 7 for screen size though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[/quote]
Do you feel the screen is a little too small to view the imaging when using split screen? I hear great things about the Elite Ti series, and need to get to the store to check them out. Many have said to get the 7 for screen size though.[/quote]
=========================

Yes, the screen is on the small side....

Last two trips my FF has some screen issues , wet finger cause the screen to gone crazy.

1. no response.
2. wrong selection.

even try to dry my finger or screen is not good enough.

Had to restart machine to reset problem...
Maybe touch screen FF is not that perfect after all...

Just did a newest firmware upgrade yesterday, will see how it turn out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

da22y wrote:

Do you feel the screen is a little too small to view the imaging when using split screen? I hear great things about the Elite Ti series, and need to get to the store to check them out. Many have said to get the 7 for screen size though.[/quote]
=========================

Yes, the screen is on the small side....

Last two trips my FF has some screen issues , wet finger cause the screen to gone crazy.

1. no response.
2. wrong selection.

even try to dry my finger or screen is not good enough.

Had to restart machine to reset problem...
Maybe touch screen FF is not that perfect after all...

Just did a newest firmware upgrade yesterday, will see how it turn out.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I hope you get the screen issue resolved.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Update for Lowrance elite ti touch screen problem :

Grounding issue --> I have gooped my transducer inside the hull , not good.
After I have my transducer direct contact to sea water, problem gone !
Thanks to Chris138 from BWE.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

babak777 wrote:
Hi all - Could you please let me know what fish-finder would you recommend for an Outback 2017 with a transducer that does require minimum/no modification to the kayak?

Am not sure if you have bought a fish finder yet or not. But for kayaks you need something small and portable preferably under the size of 5 inch screen. There are quite a number of ways you can mount the transducer on your small kayak. I have been reading this guide and found it really helpful where they mention how to mount any transducers via magnets inside hull.
More or less you would need to do some kind of modification to get satisfactory results.

One more thing you can go for deeper smart sonar or ibobber these are really good when it comes to portabiility but you may have connectivity issues and that can be problem with distance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I did not want a touch screen (they don't like my fingers) and wanted a large display, ended buying a Lowrance Hook7. Generally, I'm a Garmin fan but since my Outback was already prepped for the Lowrance transducer, I went with that.
I like it quite well, it's fairly intuitive to use and does far more than I'll remember or figure out (without reading the manual, which would cut too much into fishing time :grin )

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Garmin Striker 7SV The parts that come with the Garmin unit . Can be used to mount Transducer on cover plate .