Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I use the Hobie TI beach dolly
https://www.austinkayak.com/products/64 ... heels.html

I use it a lot and last year the plastic cradle started cracking through. One end of the cradle is now completely separated from the rest of it now and the other in will go soon. I was considering how I could repair it. Im not sure what would bond to the plastic? If anyone has ever repaired the dolly I would love to know how to do it.

Thanks!

Its probably 7 yrs old by now so Im not sure if Hobie does any warranty on the kayak carts that old?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

JB Weld makes a two part adhesive/filler that bonds well, is waterproof, etc. I've used KwikWeld on my Dolly to stop stress cracks from spreading and repair a chipped piece.

JB Weld two part system
JB Kwikweld .......same product but sets up in minutes
JB MarineWeld

Can be found at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, etc.,etc.

bill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks cool dude. Looks like I have a project for the weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:14 am 
Site Admin

Warranty would be one year on accessories. You can get just the cradle part as a replacement part.

80046121 CRADLE REPLACEMENT AI/TI DOLLY (INCLUDES PADS) $114

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G'day longboarder, I've had similar issues as you with my dolly, mine started cracking after about a year of use, although dropping it into concrete probably didn't help, I found the ends quite thin and very prone to cracking on both ends, it also started cracking at the raised part that goes between the hull & the ama, although yours sounds a bit worse than mine as mine was always in one piece.
What I did was I fibre glassed both ends and the crack in the centre area as well as various other areas around the perimeter where I thought it was weakest. It's quite easy & there's plenty of info on YT on fibreglassing if you've not done it before. I cut the fibre mesh into strips about 3" wide, cleaned the area to be glassed with acetone, mixed up the resin & catalyst & laid down about six or seven layers thick all from the underneath so it can't be seen from the top, of course you turn it upside down to do this. It ain't pretty from the bottom but it's good & strong and hasn't cracked any further in the last couple of years. If aesthetics are a concern you can also sand off any ratty bits when it's fully cured.
Just another option for you to think about, cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

thinking of buying one. Looks like i need to delay and first research on fiberglassing...i can practice with my old used cradle. Is there snything harmful with fiberglass? Do i need to wear mask? ill google. thanks for sharing this idea.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ive had great success using the fiberglass tape that Home Depot sells. Haven't used it on this application, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.