Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm new to kayaking. Do you notice any back issues due to the pedaling? I guess I can demo one before I drive, but it worn't tell me much about extended periods.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a few severe lower back injuries. Interestingly enough, the reciprocal hobie pedal movement is the least aggravating form of kayak propulsion, while the revolutionary movement of bicycle type drives to cause significantly more hip/ pelvis/ lower spine movement and thus more soreness post facto. Paddling also seems to torque the spine a bit more than the pedaling. My usual fishing grounds require about a 45 min- 1 hour journey each way and is very doable even given the “rush” to get there and back. I have maintained several hours of casual pedaling on other occasions with no major reprocussions.

IMO, you should try one out before making the investment and don’t even bother with an older style kayak seat. Get the frame and mesh seats that you can recline the backrest a good degree.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have back issues but no problems spending hours at a time in the Hobie.

I generally use the old style wet butt seats, but have access to the newer vantage seats.

The recumbent position plus the ability to shift your weight help alot to avoid back pain in my experience. I can go much longer in a Hobie kayak as compared to a bicycle.

As others have suggested, try one. Back pain is a finicky beast and just because some of us get along fine in a Hobie kayak is not a guarantee that you will.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:03 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I have a herniated L4-L5 disk. Good rehab and core strengthening can offer a good recovery prognosis. I use the old style floppy seat without issue -- straight back version (no lumbar) with the i-comfort pad and find it very comfortable. The non-collapsible-lumbar version from about '07 to '09 though is not so accommodating. Regardless of back problems, back comfort is an individual matter. Once you find a comfortable position, the Mirage Drive pedaling motion should not aggravate your back any more than sitting might. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have had two major back surgeries and we use our Outbacks and have no issues.
I am careful loading and unloading, but we go out 5 to 6 hours and have a blast.
Very comfortable seat that you can adjust for comfort.
Peddling is so easy as walking. At least for us.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Peddling a kayak is great for improving torso muscle strength and these muscles support your back so it will help greatly with your current condition.

I have gone from a Hullavator hood rack to a Yakima kayak trailer so I am not lifting weigh above my shoulders. Yakima is not able to go into the water so I am replacing it with an Alumna aluminum jetski trailer that thanks to the Trump tariff tax is costing me an extra $400 over what I was quoted before Trump put the new taxes in place. That's a Trump tax of 22% in addition to my regressive state sales tax of 8% for a 30% tax in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wintersun wrote:
thanks to the Trump tariff tax is costing me an extra $400 over what I was quoted before Trump put the new taxes in place. That's a Trump tax of 22% in addition to my regressive state sales tax of 8% for a 30% tax in total.

A. Trump is for fair trade so you probably live in a country that has been screwing over US manufacturers for some time now with unanswered tariffs.

B. Maybe complaining to your PM, Parliament, whatever governing body that doesn’t want fair trade will be more productive.

C. Especially if you’re Canadian.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm 43 and I've had L4-L5 issues for a few years. I've had to give up extended canoe paddling and most mountain biking. So I bought a Revolution 13 and I love it. Along with the usual couple hour long lake expeditions i did a two day trip last summer without issues. The only problem I've had was a awkward lift of the kayak into the back of my pickup.