Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello guys,

For years I been useing the Malone Seawing to load my kayaks, they worked great with my old Revo and the old Outback, but the New Outback 19 won't fit, it's too wide so it wants to slide off them when I load and unload getting close to falling from my truck.

So I am evaluating puchasing the saddles/craddles for it, but since they don't come with any hardware I wanted to ask for your help.

Has anyone insllated the saddles in a set of Thule Aero Bars? Either using the T tracks or a different way? Could you please tell me what I would need to buy to install these?

Thanks in advance for your help guys, loving the new kayak.
Dan.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I use Thule hydroglide 873, top for Outback...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What’s your current setup? I use 2- 3” pvc pipes mounted to cross bars. A simple strap over and under crossbar and it’s secure and if you have the means (drill/saw) very affordable

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

GetBent wrote:
What’s your current setup? I use 2- 3” pvc pipes mounted to cross bars. A simple strap over and under crossbar and it’s secure and if you have the means (drill/saw) very affordable

Right now I am using Malone seawings, I have always been curious about the pvc route , how are you connecting your pvc to the racks ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have Whispbars, but same deal. I turn the yak over, and place pool noddles cut in half - about 10” long, and covered on the top in Gorilla Tape under the sides of the boat where it rests on the rack & strap it down. It has worked very nicely, and I’ve driven about 300 miles over all kinds of terrain including Interstate.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dan I use a trailer with unistrut support bars and 3” sch40 pvc. Makes it easy to adjust for different kayaks if needed. I just drill the pipe with 3/8 holes and use ss hardware with teflon nuts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I hope I don’t get in trouble for direct linking but this is something also, but seems $$$ they have a model specific for outback 2019. I hated my Malone seawings. The thumb screws would back out and I was always afraid of losing my yak, never did but I had those for friends yaks and mine was pvc but that’s because I built it for a PA14. Anyway......

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/17 ... dwQAvD_BwE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

GetBent wrote:
Dan I use a trailer with unistrut support bars and 3” sch40 pvc. Makes it easy to adjust for different kayaks if needed. I just drill the pipe with 3/8 holes and use ss hardware with teflon nuts.

What do you guys use U bolts?

Thanks again

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use them to attach the unistrut to trailer frame. Only thing I would concern my self with is stainless steel hardware and use lock nuts/ jam nuts (nut with Teflon insert- keeps from backing off) I’m sure the lockwasher and nut are fine I just have more faith in a lock nut. It’s hard to recommend mounting without knowing what your mounting the seawings too. Also are you car topping your kayak?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

GetBent wrote:
I use them to attach the unistrut to trailer frame. Only thing I would concern my self with is stainless steel hardware and use lock nuts/ jam nuts (nut with Teflon insert- keeps from backing off) I’m sure the lockwasher and nut are fine I just have more faith in a lock nut. It’s hard to recommend mounting without knowing what your mounting the seawings too. Also are you car topping your kayak?

Oh the seawings, I am using those now mounted on thule aerobars, but the OB19 is too wide and wants to drop sideways when I pull on it to unload.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For the past three years I have trailered and garaged my PA 12 using 3" PVC without any hull dents, creases, or damage. Yesterday I sold the PA and I am awaiting delivery of an 2019 Outback. Last week I demoed an Outback and loaded it on my trailer. The PVC tubes needed slight adjustment to fit the Outback. The kayak fit nicely on the adjusted PVC and did not shift or cause any damage. My question to the forum is "am I ok using the PVC trailing and storing the 2019 Outback as I did with the PA 12?"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The pa was same as my 16 outback. My 19 outback I had to adjust more narrow as mentioned. I leave the straps on loosely. I coudnt see how it would be different. Using scheduled 40pvc?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes I am using Schedule 40 PVC. I pick up the new Outback tomorrow. I will adjust the width of the PVC again to be sure. Thanks for the response