Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've recently installed Hobie's spinnaker. I'm finding the snuffer sock to be a bit of a hassle to deal with, and I'm wondering if there are any community tips. Every time I want to bring in the right ama, such as arriving at a dock, I have to reach waaay out and loosen the straps under the sock; and of course do the opposite when pushing off. To add to it, the sock moves around a bit and doesn't always end up in the same place lined up front to back.
It gets in the way when pulling ashore; you pull the ama in and now the sock just wants to... well, get in the way, mainly falling between the kayak and the ama.

Finally, it has a real tendency to fill with water and drag on top of the water in almost any decent wind conditions. Of all the problems, this might be the easiest to solve with maybe a carabiner clipping the two straps together in the center (to rest the middle of the sock on).

Thankfully I ride front-seat in my TI. I can't imagine what a pain all this would be if I preferred to ride in the rear seat!

Any suggestions for all this? Modifications?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You might get some ideas from these threads regarding folding haka
https://www.hobie.com/au/en/forums/view ... 9&p=266741
Or Aussieonyaks folding haka using Railblaza starports here
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 1559098873
Sitting the sock on a haka platform would solve the dragging in the water problem as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you need to fold an ama to get on or off, why not use the other side? You can then set up the sock correctly, tight enough to hold it firmly in place.

BTW, I always mount or dismount in the shallows rather than at a dock, and I leave my amas fully out, climbing aboard (to the front seat, like you) over the aka brace.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Stringy, that was helpful, thank you! And you are a true gentleman for taking the time to even link to the right page in the thread!

Tony, that would definitely be ideal, but I've run into situations where both aren't possible. My first time out with the new spinnaker, I visited my favorite waterfront bar by water for the first time and found they don't have any beach; just a seawall and fixed docks; I had to ask the fuel dock for a special favor just to leave my kayak at their floating dock since I couldn't exactly get off on fixed docks a meter feet in the air. A lot of beaches at businesses are small enough that it would be rude to leave the amas out. Where I launch is also like that; it's just a narrow break in the vegetation at the shore; I deploy one or both amas after pushing off. The Chesapeake Bay is beautiful, but it's lot more mud & weeds than sandy beaches.