Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

davether55 wrote:
I don’t know about a wider Revo as that would seem like an Outback. Possibly a Revo that has the lines of the single Adventure Island with smaller non-inflatable AMAs/Akas? Anyway, I’m happy with my fleet (for now).

When I mention widening the Revo by 1 inch as well as increasing the length by about 1 foot I'm just following what Hobie did with the 2019 Outback. They increased the width and length from the older/original footprint (2018 and older) and it was obviously a huge hit. It didn't slow the kayak down one bit. In fact I think the 2019 is faster than the 2018 Outback.

Increasing the width on the Revo's can be done without sacrificing any speed/efficiency at all as long as the length is increased to offset that.

I've almost pulled the trigger on a Revo 13 a couple of times but haven't hoping changes are coming. I have decided to wait until September of next year to see what the 2021 line up brings.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
We will not offer a Kick Up kit... can't. The kick-up system is not compatible with current MD 180 or other drives.

On the current spine, the wider booms would hit the hull and not allow the fins to make a full sweep. The fins would not be able to get flat to the hull for beaching/shallow water. We had to modify the spine (new mold) to drop the sprocket shaft about a quarter of an inch lower in the well. Note that the depth of the fin tips is the same. The masts and fins are shorter.

The new drives are backward compatible otherwise.

To do an upgrade you would need to replace the spine too.

In any case, these will not be available as parts until at least next spring due to production demands as all the parts we can get are needed for new boats.

Is it possible to change the whole Mirage Drive to My 2 years old Revo 16. Does the new Drive 180 with kickback fit to the 2018 hull? I would keep the old Drive for a spare parts.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, the MD 180 and MD 180 KU are backwards compatible. Some older models may require filing the fairing on the drive to fit the well, but I'd think 10 years or older.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any updates on the MD180 upgrade to Kick up fins? :?: