Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I plan to install the mast rotation control kit on my H14. This is available from Hobie as part of the H14 Powerpack kit which includes parts for a 6:1 downhaul and 2:1 outhaul installation. I already have suitable triple blocks for the downhaul, and ran a 3:1 outhaul last summer.

Questions:

Is the mast rotation control kit available separately?

If not available as a kit, can the parts be ordered individually by part number? I understand that the H14 kit was adapted from the H18 installation, which includes the P/N 60680001 Mast Compression Plate Assembly and P/N 61210001 Mast Rotation Bar. Are these in fact the parts used for the H14?

John

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, there’s nothing particularly unique about the H14 rotation control kit. You can use a 17 or 18 rotator bar. The H18 reinforcement plates would be a good idea, but I have seen the rotator arm installed on plenty of boats without the plates, just a thru-hole in the mast and 1/4” bolt. Other than that, its just a clamcleat riveted to the boom and two feet or so of line.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If I knew how to attach a pic of my setup I would!!

BC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi again,

Thanks to srm for clarifying the mast rotation control installation parts. I wasn’t sure about the H18 rotator arm and how it would work on what I assume is a much narrower H14 mast. It appears that, in addition to the parts mentioned in my first post, the powerpack kit includes a clamcleat and a ¼ - 20 bolt and nut plus some rivets, and a foam mast plug.

To Bob Curry, I’d love to see photos of your setup – there don’t seem to be installation instructions available on-line for the rotation control kit. Also, if I recall, based on old Hotline issues, you were one of the first advocates of the use of a ‘preventer’ instead of a boom vang. More info on that would be welcomed as well!

John

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

John,

Send me a PM with your email addy and I can send you a pic with both the rotation location and preventer. Worth a thousand words!

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the offer of photos of your setup. PM with email address sent.

John

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Email sent!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

Thanks, Bob, for the photo of your mast rotation control setup. It explains everything!

Since I had already installed a 3:1 outhaul system, rather than buying the complete H14 Power Pack kit, I’ve ordered the Harken 344 and 347 29mm Carbo blocks for the 6:1 downhaul installation, from a dealer that had 15% off Black Friday sale. In the Spring, I’ll remove the original downhaul cleat, screws and nuts, and use the square nuts with 10-32 RH SS screws to attach the 11870000 deck plate for the bottom block. I’ll relocate the cleat to the side of the mast, drilling and tapping 10-32 holes for the original cleat screws, for the jib halyard as part of the Turbo conversion.

The rotation control arm and compression plate assembly kit are available separately. I ordered the clamcleat from the dealer that is supplying the Harken blocks.

John

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Bob (and others),
I have been refurbishing an older H14 turbo and it has a mast rotation control arm and I am not sure how to attach the control lines. Would you mind sharing those photos with me? I will be glad to PM you if so.

Also, there are a couple sets of micro blocks attached to the under side of the front castings and side rails that I am not sure about. I will be glad to share photos if that would be helpful.

Best regards,
Craig

'89 H14T

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The mast rotation arm is controlled by a line run to a clam cleat that is attached to the lower forward end of the boom. There is a picture of the setup on page 16 of the H14 tuning article in this Hotline issue from 2010.

http://www.w1dm.com/Projects/HOTLINE/10-05-08%20HOTLINE.pdf

sm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks very much. I do have that clam cleat and small eyestrap on the boom. In addition, there are no stops on my mast step. There are lance cleats on the front cross bar at either side of the mast. There are also microblocks added to each of the front castings on the top corners. Could this be some sort of additional control? I gather the fellow I got this from thinkered with it a bit as there is also an additional tang near the top of the mast. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. I will get some detail photos next time I am at the boat.

'89 H14T

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It’s possible those extra cleats are for additional mast rotation control (over-rotator) or possibly to control a second sail (especially if there was another tang added). There was a group at one point (mainly in Florida I think) that developed the “Formula 14” class which was an open type class of boats that included modified Hobie 14’s with larger mainsails and spinnakers.

Anyway, none of the extra cleats or tangs that you mention sound like they are stock. For class racing, most racers add a line to the forestay bridle connection back to a cleat on the front crossbar. This can be tightened going downwind to help pull the rig more upright. Regarding mast rotation stops, as long as you have the rotation arm hooked up, the stops are not necessary since the rotation arm will limit how far the mast can rotate.

sm