Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Obviously, that's hyperbole, but when I search for information on this boat (which seems amazing if expensive), all I see are TIs. YouTube is lousy with TI videos, but barely any AI videos. I don't know what the actual ratio of ownership is, but it seems like there are at least 3 TIs to every AI, judging from the internet. Is this accurate? And if so, why? Is the TI that much more useful? I have been interested in the AI since I tried one at a demo day at Pack and Paddle in Lafayette, LA 10 or 12 years ago. It was amazing, and from what I've seen it only got amazing-er after the 2015 update. The TI is much more appealing to take my family out on, but it also seems to be more cumbersome. For instance, cartopping seems doable with the AI, but probably not with the TI. Also, practically speaking, $2000 is quite the price hike between the two. It's even more than that when you look at previous year models at some Hobie dealers, where the disparity goes up to $3K sometimes. Probably because the TI is (seemingly) more popular.

So I guess my questions are these: is the TI more popular? Why? And if you feel the TI suits your needs more, did you try the AI, too, to confirm it didn't work?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fewer people want a boat capable of seating only one person. Most people have a spouse, significant other, child, or friend to go boating with. That was my reason for buying the TI over an AI. There are other reasons, but I believe this is the primary reason.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The same reason that 4-door pick up trucks now outsell 2-door models. The ability to take more people with little penalty if you don't use the extra room.

I have a TI and two AI's. Typically I take the AI if I know nobody else is going. But, if I could only own one model, it would be the TI because it gives me more options at the expense of very little penalty in terms of weight and launching.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another reason is that since the 2015 upgrade the AI lost a lot of its benefits over the TI. It became much bigger and heavier so the difference between the two wasn’t that much. The original AI was a great kayak when stripped down, the AMA were much shorter and fitted inside my Prado. The daggerboard was removable, the hull was much lighter and easier to fit on a roof rack.
I had AI’s from 2008, then added a TI when they where first released in 2010. The AI was still my solo choice but over time as I improved the TI by adding haka, outboard etc it became my first choice solo or with others. I eventually sold my AI’s and used the TI exclusively. I was never interested in the 2015+AI.
Other TI benefits:
Bigger sail/spinnaker (my highest speeds were in the TI), greater capacity, a lot more deck room and can be paddled from the rear seat with tramps on (unlike the AI).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I didn't want a TI, I wanted an older AI. My kids are grown and out of the house, my wife would never go. Anything that involves getting her hair messed up she ain't doing. I don't have the room to store a TI. Used AI's are dirt cheap. I can throw a AI in back of my truck and set it up a whole lot easier than an TA. A TA really requires a trailer. If I ever upgrade to a two person boat it will be a Windrider 17, unless I find a TA dirt cheap, but I'm perfectly happy with the AI. If I ever need to carry a passenger, they can sit on the trampoline.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

panotaker wrote:
I didn't want a TI, I wanted an older AI. My kids are grown and out of the house, my wife would never go. Anything that involves getting her hair messed up she ain't doing. I don't have the room to store a TI. Used AI's are dirt cheap. I can throw a AI in back of my truck and set it up a whole lot easier than an TA. A TA really requires a trailer. If I ever upgrade to a two person boat it will be a Windrider 17, unless I find a TA dirt cheap, but I'm perfectly happy with the AI. If I ever need to carry a passenger, they can sit on the trampoline.

I wish I knew where to find these dirt cheap used AIs! I can't ever seem to find any used AIs or TIs within any reasonable distance. And even when I do, the difference in price vs. new seems fairly small.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

fadecomic wrote:
panotaker wrote:

I wish I knew where to find these dirt cheap used AIs! I can't ever seem to find any used AIs or TIs within any reasonable distance. And even when I do, the difference in price vs. new seems fairly small.

Yeah, age 71 looking for AI. Found a 2016 for $3,800, except no vantage seat and plain vanilla non 180 drive.
(Barely used! 4 years old)
No trampolines. So probably $1,000+ to get seat and reverse drive plus kick ups. = $4,800+
That’s close to cost of 2020 new in SW Florida

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I don't know what the prices are around the rest of the country, but I just bought my 2014 AI in houston for $2000 this past weekend, no trailer with trampolines. The guy was asking $2900. I just missed a 2014 AI in Corpus Christi for $2500 with trailer and trampolines. There is a 2014 TA on Facebook marketplace right now for $4800 with trampolines and trailer. Most of the TA are priced a lot higher, thats probably why you see more of them, they don't sell as fast due to the high prices. Might as well buy a brand new one. The AI's are a lot cheaper, and they sell pretty fast. You have to look everyday on craigslist and FB marketplace if you want one. The cheapest TA I have seen lately was one in Houston for $1800 with trampolines and no trailer a couple of weeks ago. It was left outside for a long time and it was all faded, but it sold pretty quick. The deals are out there. You have to look everyday, have cash on hand, make low ball offers, and be willing to travel to go get it. I drove 3 hours one way to get mine.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

panotaker wrote:
I don't know what the prices are around the rest of the country, but I just bought my 2014 AI in houston for $2000 this past weekend, no trailer with trampolines. The guy was asking $2900. I just missed a 2014 AI in Corpus Christi for $2500 with trailer and trampolines. There is a 2014 TA on Facebook marketplace right now for $4800 with trampolines and trailer. Most of the TA are priced a lot higher, thats probably why you see more of them, they don't sell as fast due to the high prices. Might as well buy a brand new one. The AI's are a lot cheaper, and they sell pretty fast. You have to look everyday on craigslist and FB marketplace if you want one. The cheapest TA I have seen lately was one in Houston for $1800 with trampolines and no trailer a couple of weeks ago. It was left outside for a long time and it was all faded, but it sold pretty quick. The deals are out there. You have to look everyday, have cash on hand, make low ball offers, and be willing to travel to go get it. I drove 3 hours one way to get mine.

I’m in Houston and I haven’t seen any of these. Where do people post? I’ve been watching craigslist, here, and a couple smaller places I found via google. Then again I don’t really want the pre 2015 model unless it’s an amazing deal, so I may not have seen those.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

fadecomic wrote:
panotaker wrote:

I’m in Houston and I haven’t seen any of these. Where do people post? I’ve been watching craigslist, here, and a couple smaller places I found via google. Then again I don’t really want the pre 2015 model unless it’s an amazing deal, so I may not have seen those.

All the dirt cheap deals I found where 2014 or older. If there where any 2015 deals, or newer, I would have bought it. I have been looking for a few months. The few 2015 or newer models I found are pretty close to retail price, most of them include the trailer, so you get a couple of year old TA for close to retail, with a free trailer, so you might as well just buy a new one. I do nation wide searches on craigslist, and its pretty much like that everywhere. The only dirt cheap deals are on older models, and they go pretty quick. If you don't search everyday, you will never see the cheap deals. Unless you get extremely lucky, you are not going to find a cheap, late model AI or TI. There is a used 2018 AI on the houston craigslist right now with a trailex trailer, but its not cheap. If I was looking for a late model one, I would just get a new one. I don't see the point in getting a 4 year old TA for $1000 cheaper than a brand new one. I also find that just because someone is asking a lot, doesn't mean they won't take a low ball offer. I make low ball offers all the time on different stuff. All they could say is no. Every once in a while, I get lucky. The older models with the crappy seat don't bother me, you are going to get wet even with a late model one. If I find a late model one cheap in Texas I will PM you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

panotaker wrote:
fadecomic wrote:
panotaker wrote:

All the dirt cheap deals I found where 2014 or older. If there where any 2015 deals, or newer, I would have bought it. I have been looking for a few months. The few 2015 or newer models I found are pretty close to retail price, most of them include the trailer, so you get a couple of year old TA for close to retail, with a free trailer, so you might as well just buy a new one. I do nation wide searches on craigslist, and its pretty much like that everywhere. The only dirt cheap deals are on older models, and they go pretty quick. If you don't search everyday, you will never see the cheap deals. Unless you get extremely lucky, you are not going to find a cheap, late model AI or TI. There is a used 2018 AI on the houston craigslist right now with a trailex trailer, but its not cheap. If I was looking for a late model one, I would just get a new one. I don't see the point in getting a 4 year old TA for $1000 cheaper than a brand new one. I also find that just because someone is asking a lot, doesn't mean they won't take a low ball offer. I make low ball offers all the time on different stuff. All they could say is no. Every once in a while, I get lucky. The older models with the crappy seat don't bother me, you are going to get wet even with a late model one. If I find a late model one cheap in Texas I will PM you.

Yeah, you and I have similar philosophies. No point in a 10% discount over new. I'd rather pay that difference and know it's new and not someone else's problems. I've seen that one you mention on CL. It has been there for 6 months or so now, and no price drop. It has a trailer, but he wants more than retail and seems in no hurry to sell. I'd rather buy new.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

TI's are faster due to a longer waterline than an AI. I have sailed with AIs and am always faster, not due to skill.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ive owned both. Solo'd most of time from surf to lake. My experience was that i grew out of the AI and grew into the TI.
I wouldnt consider the adventure island a solo craft- too easy to accommodate passengers.
When it comes to handling out of the water, the AI is a kayak w accessories. The TI is a multi tentacled sea dragon unless youre launching at a ramp from a trailer.
I was fond of my AIs but I loved my TI.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Are the profit margins razor thin on these things or something? I've been to two Hobie dealers now, and both have almost tried to talk me out of buying a new one. One guy seemed almost irritated I asked. Told me he would never sell a TI unless he had cash in hand first because it takes up too much floor space. The other place I went, the guy showed me an AI, but looked me in the eye and asked me if I was sure I wanted to buy one, because they were really expensive. He tried to sell me on the idea of putting a sail on one of the less expensive Hobies instead.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't know about the sales margins but you will not have the same experience by putting a sail on a lesser priced Hobie. The sail will be much smaller and the boat will not be stabilize by the amas like an Island. Buy a new one if you can afford it.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis