Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Securing aka bars
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just wondering if anyone has secured their aka bars with a removable pin drilled through the crossbar and the aka on a tandem island? Have not seen this done, probably a reason for that.... but seems very simple. Let me know.

Post subject: Re: Securing aka bars
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Have wondered the same. Few years ago the latch on one side let go(had the retrofit didn't put it on) and I lost the lee side AMA in very high winds. Was not fun. Not inclined to drill holes in my boat, but I do like this idea.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I imagine that the only reason this isn't done is to keep the akas easily removable. Installing a pin could conceivably be done, but it would have to be in an area where the pin properly secures the existing mechanism.

Hobie redesigned the aka retention hardware and the update is free as most here know, so there is not as much concern about the akas suddenly separating anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2018 island with the new aka retention kit, I have had one instance where an aka came loose. I always sail solo and would like a capsizing event to be due to my own stupidity! I am going to put a loop of cord around the cross bar with a bungee that attaches to a hook on the aka or something. The aka may never come loose again but one less variable in the going into the drink equation may be worth it. I have taken off one end of the bungee under the rear akas and lashed it under the crossbar, it actually cleats under there closer to the hull. I just used the paddle holders on the front aka and lashed it under the cross bar as well. It will keep them in there, will just refine this system so it’s quicker to set up and take down.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 2014 TI without the improved retention clips and had a early "pullout" at an inopportune time. I simply drilled (4) small through holes and pinned the arms with 10-32 stainless screws and nylock nuts. Works great. It does take an extra 5 minutes to disassemble the boat at the end of the season for more compact storage in my garage.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JMT wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has secured their aka bars with a removable pin drilled through the crossbar and the aka on a tandem island? Have not seen this done, probably a reason for that.... but seems very simple. Let me know.

If you search for ‘akas disconnecting’ you’ll learn a lot!
It has been done and is discussed here:
https://www.hobie.com/au/en/forums/view ... 1&p=274213

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the link stringy. It turns out I am not the only one who doesn’t trust the connection after seeing it fail! A little dyneema will go a long way.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

stringy wrote:
JMT wrote:

If you search for ‘akas disconnecting’ you’ll learn a lot!
It has been done and is discussed here:
https://www.hobie.com/au/en/forums/view ... 1&p=274213

A couple of questions
Is the orange cord around “the knuckle” to keep the aka from accidental disconnects and if so, where is the other end
The silvery pin, is drilled through a loose hole as a secondary safety retention pin and what the heck is it called?
(This was momentarily discussed on the zoom meeting of TI and AI users who go offshore)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That pic I posted wasn’t mine but it looks like the orange line prevents the akas from popping out. Google ‘quick release pin’ and you should be able to find it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you from a beginner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just used monofilament leader material, secured with brass sleeves. They have been on for two seasons now. Probably a good idea to cut them off, dismantle everything for a good cleaning-lubing. It’s a ten minute job and the Haka haven’t slipped out since I put them on.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I upgraded the spring clips and made a mess of the screw removal. Ended up with SS split pins embedded in the assembly.

I was reluctant to drill more into the hinge area. So I stripped all the old webbing straps and buckles from my original Hobie TI leaking / rotting cover and installed a mini strap around each hinge assembly. Each strap runs around the outer hinge knuckle and then around the inboard hull bracket, with the belt clip components mid-span. Great fix as it is easily unclipped whenever needed, and, provides comforting redundancy during offshore passages.