Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm installing a Spinnaker on a Tandem Island and I have some questions. The only video I am aware of is of an Adventure Island, which is quite different, and I can't find any photos of a Tandem Island installation.

1. I can't figure out where to mount the cheek block at the stern of the boat because of the two main sheets running along the hull. It seems if I run the Spinnaker line under the two sheets the line and the cheek block will be in the water. But if I run the Spinnaker line above the sheets it will overlap the sheets at the stern and chafe. Could someone provide a photo or two to show how the line is run and where the block is mounted?

2. The Spinnaker has two grommets at the tack and came with some line tied to them. What is the extra grommet and line for?

3. The kit came with two flat plastic discs that appear to fit between the swivel cam cleats and the cleat mounts. But the instructions don't show using them. Is this an upgrade and I should install them or are they for some special situation and I don't need them?

4. With my Mainsail unfurled it looks like the Spinnaker line falls a good 10" below the top of the sail. I don't see how I will be able to tack or gybe the main without partially furling it. Will I have to do that or am I missing something?

5. Is it OK to pull the Spinnaker into the Snuffer Bag and store it that way or will that damage the Spinnaker?

Any help/photos you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:04 am 
Site Admin

This may explain a lot:

There have been a couple of changes since the video I believe. A small cleat at the aft of the bag tp hold the sail in the bag which allows the halyard to be tensioned / not foul the mainsail when furling and tack/gybing.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That's the video I mentioned in my post and it doesn't address any of my questions.

Even with the halyard tensioned the main is still a good 10" above the halyard.

Please would someone with first hand experience with a Spinnaker installation on a Tandem Island please help me out?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Even with the halyard tensioned the main is still a good 10" above the halyard

The sail when unfurled will extend beyond the halyard.

You can shorten the top batten. You can furl to gybe the spinnaker.

Confirm you have the newer top part for the top rotate. It should have about 3" of plastic below the rotate to lift the whole thing up.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The rotating section of the assembly (from the roller bearings down) measures 1.7". I have shortened the top two battens so they are flush with the sail.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:14 am 
Site Admin

Sounds correct.

Here is a FAQ I was looking for:

Quote:
One of the hottest accessories for the Hobie Island is a spinnaker kit. We have made a couple of changes to enhance the ease of use of these great accessories to make them even better.

72020350 - SPINNAKER KIT ADVENTURE ISLAND
72020351 - SPINNAKER KIT TANDEM ISLAND

There is an issue that has come up from time to time. When the sail is not in use, the spinnaker halyard / back stay can get hooked on the mainsail battens when tacking, gybing or when furling the sail. Keeping a bit of tension on the halyard to keep it from drooping and catching the batten ends is critical.

We have done two things to help prevent this from happening. Last year we added a bit of additional height to the mast top swivel base. This was a running change started late last year:

This new enhanced part is available for use with older kits:

79503121 BASE - SPINNAKER MAST ROTATOR $5.00 List

This part raises the mast topper and gives more room for the battens to pass under the halyard.

The following is the latest update and is available for all older kits at no charge. Designer Jim Czarnowski had intended to include a cleat on the aft crossbar at the end of the spinnaker bag (for the spinnaker retrieval line). This cleat is used to lock the snuffed spinnaker within the bag which allows tension to be applied to the halyard. You snuff the spinnaker and cleat the retrieval line. Then tension the halyard without pulling the spinnaker back out of the bag. This keeps the lines from drooping and catching on the battens.

We are now including the following parts in all spinnaker kits:

1 ea 10730021 - CLAMCLEAT STBD BLACK
2 ea 8031032 - SCREW, 10-16x1" SELF-TAP S.S.

New instructions include information about the cleat placement and installation.

New Spinnaker Installation Instructions: https://static.hobiecat.com/item_attachments/Island_Spinnaker_Kit_Instructions.pdf

Both items make for more care free use of the Island Spinnaker Kit.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

1. I just purchased the Spinnaker kit. Why did it come with the old part?

2. How do I get the new part? I called Hobie parts department and was told they would only talk to dealers. I didn't purchase the Spinnaker kit from the local dealer, I bought it from a dealer out of state. Am I going to have to go through them to get the new part?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

From your description... you have the correct part.

Quote:
(from the roller bearings down) measures 1.7"

The upper "dome" part is up in the topper. The bearings ride the ledge part. What is exposed, that you measured, is the 1.7" as shown on the tape measure.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

https://www.hobie.com/au/en/forums/view ... 4&p=302956

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

From reading the Forum it seems to me that most people like to sail the Tandem Island from the rear seat. So I was surprised when installing my Spinnaker that the included Halyard isn't long enough to extend it within reach of the rear seat. Do most people that sail with Spinnakers sail from the front cockpit?

I bought some 3/16 Halyard line (it looks to be just slightly smaller diameter than the kit line and not quite as stiff) and routed it from the snuffer bag back to the rear seat and around a pulley before going forward to the cam cleat. This allows me to work the Spinnaker from the rear seat, but occasionally the line develops twists in it that jams in the pulleys and prevents me from raising or dropping the Spinnaker.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience in this area and has any suggestions for me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dave,
I only ever used mine from the rear seat and had no problems reaching the halyard.
Either your halyard is too short or you have rigged it incorrectly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I really enjoy the spinnaker and it's incredible fun running with the wind but, wow, is it a pain when the spinnaker halyard line catches on the mainsail batten #1! I've shortened the batten but am considering shortening it more but I'm not sure how short is too short. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In shortening the batten you are limited by the design which requires the batten cap to be tied to the sail. I had a sailmaker modify my sail as seen here:
https://www.hobie.com/au/en/forums/view ... 4&p=303253

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Perfect. I can sew that up myself in a jiffy. Great idea. It's been a little scary a couple of times when the halyard gets caught on the batten. I'll make the change in the morning and try it out. Thanks!