Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently acquired a used TI and I have a project I want to accomplish. I want to be able to fit a flag halyard to the top of the mast and be able to run a flag up and down without interfering with the rolling of the mast and obviously without weakening or damaging my mast.

I have figured out how to mount the bottom of the halyard. My boat came with an anchor trolly on the port side so I can attach the bottom of the halyard to it forward of the mast so it won't interfere with the sail. Almost like a stay on a normal sailboat.

The bigger problem is the top of the mast, somehow I have to get a block up there that is mounted to a free-swiveling bracket that is attached to the mast. The closest thing I have found is what "stringy" did for a rotating go-pro mount. (see picture near the bottom of the page https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=58118) He made his from a swivel caster wheel assembly attached to what looks like a PVC topper for the mast. That looks like it should work, my only concern would be if it is somehow damaging the mast to have a topper like that. But before I go that route I wanted to check if anyone else has tried putting a flag halyard on their island or how they would go about it if they were to try. My goal is that in a short while this topic will end with pictures and video of me running a flag up my mast.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't know on putting it up and down; but have a look at how the spinnaker kit mounts to the top.

Also I have the hobie wind vane which has a cap sitting over the end of the mast/sail and then the wind direction free spins on the metal rod, you could make something larger I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

apart from the already suggested Hobie part, a cheap solution is to tape a very small and short aluminium pipe at the top of the mast and place the flag there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies, I have looked at the wind vane. I am really hoping to be able to run a flag up and down and not have to take the mast down to get at the flag. But thank you for the ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Curious what sort of flag you are doing this with and your vision around this :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am trying to fly a flag 12"x18" Depending on the design of the halyard it would also be cool if I could fly at least a couple signal flags as well.

Eventually I am going to design a custom flag for my boat. https://www.gettysburgflag.com/custom/c ... -boat-flag