Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone mounted a Lowrance GPS and FishFinder on their TI? Mine would get very wet with saltwater. Is it wiser to go with a hand held unit and keep it in an aqua bag, or is the GPS really capable of that much saltwater exposure? Any other suggestions about the best GPS and FishFinder option for the TI?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I own a Hummingbird 9" with GPS and it does get wet in rough conditions on the TI, but it's mostly just splashing. After many years of use, I've never had an issue.

Fish finders are specifically designed to get wet and most Lowrance fish finders (except the Elite series) are IPX7 rated which is defined as "Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 meter (3 ft 3 in) of submersion)". This rating applies to both fresh and saltwater.

It's unlikely that you would experience any water ingress problems with a GPS fish finder, even if it were immersed for a short period of time. However, with the Lowrance units, it's a good idea to seal the area where the card slot is located with waterproof tape. There have been a few problems reported there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've got a Raymarine Dragonfly on mine, with just the silicone jacket on it - 2 summers with it and no problems so far.
It's mounted angled so it's partially protected behind the front seat, away from the worst of the splashes but still gets wet.
I remove from the boat & rinse briefly under the tap & dry after each sail.
The advantage of the hand-helds is the in-built battery, saving you from having to mount the battery in the hull which is a bit of a faff, but there are plenty of guides online such as this one https://www.kayakfishing.blog/blog/installing-a-raymarine-dragonfly-5-pro-to-a-hobie-outback
I did something very similar with a clippy food box, but using Ctek connectors so I could plug the charger straight in.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I really appreciate the answers. Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’ve lost 2 Garmins and one lowrance that I was able to salvage. I’ve got an AI and have the sonar 12” above the deck. Now a plastic bag and rubber band is standard.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’ve lost 2 Garmins and 1 Lowrance to splashed water. My sonar is mounted 12” above the AI deck. A plastic bag with a rubber band is standard now.