Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Hobie Team,

can you give us some short comments about the differences between the elder i11s and the new iTrek11.

1. Are the materials different ? The i11s is built with 1000 Denier PVC. Whats the material of the iTrek11 ?
2. Are there any differences by the drop-stitch-technology ?
3. The iTrek11 is a little bit shorter, lighter, has another seat and the rudder is removable. Are there any another differences ?

I have the i11s and Im very happy with this kayak. So it would be nice if you give us a comment about these questions,

Thanx,

Steven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:54 am 
Site Admin

I have asked our sales team to respond to your questions.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:35 am 
Hobie Team Member

Regarding the I-11
1. The center chamber is 550 Denier single layer diagonal drop stitch material.
2. On all of the I-Trek boats the center chamber is a diagonal drop stitch material. The diagonal drop stitch allows you to inflate the boat to a higher pressure- 10 psi is recommended on the center chamber and 6 on the outer chamber on the I-Trek 11, 14 and Fiesta. The diagonal drop stitch also holds it's shape better than a horizontal drop stitch.
3.The big changes are the steering, seat and the construction of the pontoons. On the pontoons they are a completely encapsulated chamber. The pontoons are RF welded and glued independently of the center chamber then attached to the hull with two over lapping layers of PVC.
I hope this answers all of your questions. Let me know if you need any further assistance.
Thank you,
Team Hobie!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mjohnson009 wrote:
Regarding the I-11
1. The center chamber is 550 Denier single layer diagonal drop stitch material.
2. On all of the I-Trek boats the center chamber is a diagonal drop stitch material. The diagonal drop stitch allows you to inflate the boat to a higher pressure- 10 psi is recommended on the center chamber and 6 on the outer chamber on the I-Trek 11, 14 and Fiesta. The diagonal drop stitch also holds it's shape better than a horizontal drop stitch.
3.The big changes are the steering, seat and the construction of the pontoons. On the pontoons they are a completely encapsulated chamber. The pontoons are RF welded and glued independently of the center chamber then attached to the hull with two over lapping layers of PVC.
I hope this answers all of your questions. Let me know if you need any further assistance.
Thank you,
Team Hobie!

Thank you for the breakdown! Very helpful.
From what I see on my buddy’s i11s, both the new seat and the pedal drive seem to be a downgrade. The pedal drive in particular is disappointing since its no longer 180 drive. Could you comment on what the benefit of the new seat and gt drive system is over the older model?

Want to pull the trigger on the itrek11 but the almost equivalent price for what appears to be (superficially at least) a less comfortable ride is giving me pause. What upgrades to the other aspect of the kayak is there to offset the lesser seat and drive?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am wondering if the new seat is at all moveable fore and aft. I can't quite see how the legs anchor on photos other than weight held on a floating crossbar.

My legs are normally too long to be fully accommodated by forward pedal adjustments, even with bent knees. Anyway I may need to maximize forward deck space by adjusting pedals rearwards. Perhaps the seat isn't intended to move back but it kind of looks like some setback might be improvised at our own risk. If so, I wonder by how many inches?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:37 pm 
Hobie Team Member

On the new I-Trek series the seat is in one position and cannot be adjusted. How tall are you? We tested the boat on all sizes of paddlers my boss who is 6'5 tested the all of the boats and was happy with the seat position. I don't know the exact amount of inches between the seat and the max setting on the Mirage drive. I would get that info for you but we are all working from home and away from the product. I hope this helps.
Thank you for your inquiry.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks. I am a bit taller than that, possibly with disproportionately long legs. I guess I will need to choose the 11 rather than 9 footer to have enough forward deck space ahead of the tilted pedals.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am considering buying a Trek 11. I saw one post in which the person using it was 6’5”. I was curious if there is a minimum height as I have a son that is 53” tall. Would he be able to operate the pedals efficiently?