Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Last month I purchased a 2021 outback from a dealer in my area. I’ve taken it out twice since then and I love it. A few days ago, I was installing a fish finder I had bought-- making use of the 3-way thru-hull wiring plugs that come on the kayak. Following the instruction manual, I removed the 3-way plug located beneath the seat area to put my wiring through. That all went fine, but later when I was re-installing the 3-way plug I noticed that 2 of the 3 screws will not tighten properly. From what I can tell, the screw-holes in the hull were stripped during the factory install. I can still take the screws out; they just won’t tighten properly. After some testing, I’ve determined that the 3-way plug is not watertight due to this and I'm not happy.

Will this be covered under warranty if I take it back to my dealer? For clarity, the problem is with the hull of the kayak, not the 3-way plug screws. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think only a dealer would be able to make that determination in consultation with Hobie. My guess is Hobie might pay the dealer to bolt, rather than screw, it to the hull. Personally, I'd rather take on that project myself and save the trip and aggravation of filing the claim.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The screws securing the 3-way plug to the opening in the hull are self-tapping and thread into the plastic to create a watertight installation. Over threading the screws will strip the threads cut into the plastic during the factory installation. Hobie recommends using a manual screwdriver and not overtightening the screws when re-installing the plug. In the event you have stripped the factory-cut threads in the plastic, you can do one of two things: 1) Re-install the 3-way plug with a slightly larger screw, ex. #10 vs #8, and do it with a manual driver, making sure not to overtighten, or 2) Use a plastic weld or scraps of plastic to fill the screw hole, then re-thread the screw with a manual driver for a new set of threads and a watertight fitting. This in no way has affected the integrity of the hull, and actually is a simple fix. If you have any issues, give Hobie a call and we can help you out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you all for the replies. Since you are suggesting I can make the repair myself, if I have my dealer do a plastic weld and re-thread, it won’t void my warranty, will it? (Dealer is not a certified service center).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

Would not void the warranty. Very little weld is needed

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)