Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HobieCats and Knees
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone
I have a question about HobieCats and knees. I had to give up windsurfing some time ago due to meniscus removal, which basically means I have lost my shock absorbers in my knees, and if there is any extra weight on them, the bones grind together. Nice. I had to give up snowboarding too. However, now I am desperate to do something exciting with my 3 young kids and am interested in learning to sail a HobieCat. My question is, does anyone know how the pressure on your knees compares to windsurfing? To be clear, the problems start if I have weight bearing down on the knees, and also if I am going over a lot of bumps (because when I land, there is extra weight on the knees, temporarily). I guess sitting down on a Hobie would be fine but I would really like to know about standing up and how this compares to windsurfing/snowboarding
Also, if there's anyone with about 80% lateral meniscus removed in each knee that happily hobies, that would give me great hope!!
Many thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: HobieCats and Knees
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unless you are trapping out, you're sitting down. When you tack and switch sides, you generally crawl under the boom. If you get a Hobie with wings (17, 18 SX, Getaway or 21SC), you can sit up on the wing like a chair.
I rarely stand on my boat once we shove off.

Oh, with kids, the Getaway is a great boat. Lots of area for them, kids love to lay on the forward tramp and watch the water and get splashed. The wings provide a little guard rail of sorts, plus more comfortable. The boat is stable and easy to handle.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
My question is, does anyone know how the pressure on your knees compares to windsurfing? To be clear, the problems start if I have weight bearing down on the knees, and also if I am going over a lot of bumps

Way easier on the knees than walking. As noted... unless you are on the trapeze, there is little loading. Even on the trapeze, the ride is WAY smoother than windsurfing. No comparison really.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Having done both windsurfing and Hobie sailing for several decades, I agree, Hobie sailing is less strenuous on the body overall. The ride is much smoother than windsurfing since the hull cuts through the water on a Hobie as compared to a windsurfer which is planing on top of the water and bouncing off of every piece of chop. Also less need to bend the knees on a Hobie unless you’re trapped out in really rough conditions. Most of the time when trapped out, you can just stand with your legs straight and feet about shoulder width apart.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm 70 and had a total left knee replacement 11 years ago. Been sailing a H16 solo 2-3 times a week year-around for many years.

Never noticed any strain or pain on my left knee before or after the operation as a result of sailing.

I also trailer my boat, so it involves setting up (including solo stepping the mast) and re-loading on the trailer each day I sail.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

Last edited by Tim H16 on Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Getting in and out on the trapeze wire would seem problematic. Might need someone else to step your mast as well.