Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm rigging out a new TI for general fun sailing and fishing. I really liked the "Power Tower" modification done by Victor from the Hobie Fishing Team out of Austin so I decided to give it a try. I am by no means a professional so any feedback is welcome.

I bought the Hobie H-Bar meant for the 2021 Pro Angler. The center bar will be too long. I ended up having to cut it to a desired length and then drill a new hole through it for the bolt that connects it together. Other than that everything mounted up nicely.

The fairleads are C. Sherman Johnson Stanchion Mount fairleads
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/c-sherman-johnson--stanchion-mounted-bull-s-eye-fairleads--P002_060_007_508?pCode=273441

They come with a stainless hose clamp that is too short to work. I ordered 2" diameter marine grade stainless hose clamps from amazon that are 1/2" wide. They fit and worked fine.

The speaker system is a JBL Boombox Portable Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker.

I'm still figuring out how I'd like to mount it. The picture below shows me attempting to mount it with a hobie h-rail universal plate, and the two h-rail adapters that come with the h-bar kit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i am just curious. what are the two cages for with the floats inside. do they rest on the bottom?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, vvortex3.

I realised you had opened another thread, so I will share my doubt here too. First of all, congratulations, because your set-up is quite impressive. I am considering the installation of the h-bar on the Tandem Island that I have ordered. I would like to know if you can actually plug the Hobie Trax 2-30 Cart into the back scupper holes when you're sailing, with the h-bar deployed. I'm not sure it fits.

Thanks,

Chess

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good morning
The h-bar indeed looks good (better than pvc pipes).
I saw different types oh H-bars are being sold. What type did you use?

Fixed in total with 4*2 screws? Any reinforcement used (to resist forces of the sail)?

Saluti
Matthias

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

winfield100 wrote:
i am just curious. what are the two cages for with the floats inside. do they rest on the bottom?

Lobster traps, no? They rest on the bottom with bait inside, and the float is attached to the warp tethered to the trap below so you can haul it up to check it.

TT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

matthiasbroersma wrote:
Good morning
The h-bar indeed looks good (better than pvc pipes).
I saw different types oh H-bars are being sold. What type did you use?

Fixed in total with 4*2 screws? Any reinforcement used (to resist forces of the sail)?

Saluti
Matthias

I used the Hobie Pro Angler 2021 H-Bar. You have to cut the center bar to your desired width and drill a new hole for the mounting bolt on the side that was cut.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

vvortex3,
I was curious if you might be able to share any updates regarding your H-Bar mainsheet riser mounting configuration attempts/experiments?

I have swapped a similarly modified one between my TI and AI for a couple of years and recently considered attempting to reconfigure the TI mounts to be on H-rails (VS the standard bolt-in foot mounts for the H-Bar) for additional adjustability and compatibility with other accessories, but figured I would check around the forums a bit before drilling any new holes as I haven't found the time to change things up just yet...

By the way, I love your Shur-Line net handle mod too, and was wondering how well the pole has held up to the elements/ seawater so far?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great setup. Nice work.

2 Questions:
1) Hey does that fold down for trailer travel or do you have to take it off?
2) Did you have trouble reaching on the underside to bolt is down to the kayak?