Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all…Happy 2023! (First post after having read and searched this forum for a few weeks)

In short, I’m searching for a sailing vessel for recreational fun. I’m 52 and in 2 years I’ll have two crucial things that will make sailing possible: time and location. I’m a retired USAF veteran (24 yrs) and in 18months I’ll have much more time after my 2nd career winds down AND I’ll have access to a lake lot to store a sailboat. (Lake Weir. 5,600acres. About 3milesX3miles—freshwater)

I’ve been around water all my life but I’m not a through and through sailor. I windsurfed as a kid in WI and I currently dabble in kiteboarding in SC but I’ve never formally “sailed” aside from farting around on a H16 a few times. I’m more of a slalom waterskiier who plans to sail when the wind and water is not completely flat. I’m OK putting some elbow grease into an older rig if the price is right. I’m fine with older (functional) equipment. For example my skiboat is 30yrs old but it works great because I really take care of it.

My search zone ranges up/down I-95 from North Carolina to Florida. I don’t necessarily need a trailer though one would be nice to have…(I have a 20ft boat trailer that I could use/adapt for one-time transport of a vessel if a sale does not include a trailer). The lake lot I’ll be using has a sand beach and it should be easy to pull the vessel up onto the lot for storage after use.

A few questions:
1. I think I’d like a H16 or a Tandem Island … (it’s my wife and I… total weight of 350 and both athletic). My wife will prob only sail with me half the time. I will NOT be fishing on it. Should I be considering other makes/models besides the H16 and TI?

2. Please list any Used Sailboat websites I should be searching? Obviously I’ll search Craigslist and boattrader…and use my Google skills. What other focused sites I should monitor?

thanks,
CJ