Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all,

Happy new owner of a 2015 AI. Done a few trips all setup for fishing.
Always planned to do that but just wondering if anybody else has tried Lobster/Crab potting from the AI?

I am thinking of bringing them out (4 pots) two each on the bench see sketch.
Still have to make my benches hence sketch ;-) The house like things are the lobster pots...

Will have a DIY open block with swivel hung from the bench to facilitate hauling from the seat/main hull. Wondering if it would be easier sitting on the bench hauling vertically. I will only have one pot per "string". Pots are around 15kg I would estimate.

Any ideas, hints or sharing of setups/mods would be great

Cheers
Marius

Blog: http://www.irishrockpoolaquarium.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Marius:
We live in Florida and own a Tandem Island, during Lobster season every year we go out and catch as many of those tasty treats as we can.

We are scuba divers and mostly go offshore off Key West during Lobster season and catch them by hand (clever little animals). Every year we have an absolute blast. We don't really care if we catch any keepers of not, the fun for us is just going out. Mini Lobster season is a major event and a real blast in Key West.

As far as crabbing goes our luck hasn't been so good, every Florida resident is allowed 5 pots, so we typically stack 5 pots on each tramp and place them somewhere out in Sarasota bay, we have done this twice now, and have still to catch enough crabs to make one crab salad. We are not very good at it, but we have a blast going out and trying, on the way home we always stop at the grocery and pick up real crab and lobster, then we have our crab and lobster boil anyway by the pool and talk about our adventures with our friends, always a fun time. I wouldn't change a thing, it's just plain fun, whether you catch anything or not.
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I catch Dungeness crab out of my AI and revolution, hauling the trap up without a block. My trap and anchor only weigh less than 5 kg. last time I did it I caught 3 over 7 inches --it was a great feed! Scotty makes a nice little open block and arm that might work for you.
T2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Don't he dungeness thing here as well, no block. I only work a single trap, but I know guys that will bring up to four.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

MariusMarinus wrote:
Hi all,

Happy new owner of a 2015 AI. Done a few trips all setup for fishing.
Always planned to do that but just wondering if anybody else has tried Lobster/Crab potting from the AI?

I am thinking of bringing them out (4 pots) two each on the bench see sketch.
Still have to make my benches hence sketch ;-) The house like things are the lobster pots...

Will have a DIY open block with swivel hung from the bench to facilitate hauling from the seat/main hull. Wondering if it would be easier sitting on the bench hauling vertically. I will only have one pot per "string". Pots are around 15kg I would estimate.

Any ideas, hints or sharing of setups/mods would be great

Cheers
Marius

Those pots we use in the UK and Ireland are big old brutes of things, over here in Australia I use a lightweight folding pots and catch mud crabs similar size to our brown crabs, if I were you I'd try and find some of these, the only downside is if you fish in strong current they might not be heavy enough to hold bottom.

http://crabpotsandtackle.com.au/crab_pots.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks guys for your feedback!

Great to hear it has been done before and I am not just a nutter ;-)

Yeah the traditional pots here are brutes, going to weight mine this evening. I got them free from a friendly fisherman who has hundreds so I try to use them. Seas can be very rough here so yes I dont think this nice and handy collapsible ones would survive long out there. But they have their place in calm conditions for sure.

I plan to leave them out all the time (open if not used) as hauling them back to shore every time would be very hard work (only have a small hatchback ;-)

Surely must be great craic to come home with a few for a nice dinner even if it has to be supplemented with shop bought ones (dont need to tell herself ;-)

Thanks again and would be nice if you would share your setup with pictures for interest

Cheers
Marius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We did our crabbing adventures quite a while ago using borrowed wire mesh pots just for something to do and try it out. We just guessed where to place them, I'm sure the serious guys know all the best places, but they don't share that info (just like fishermen (lol)). We just used chicken for bait, I'm sure the guys that know their stuff have way better secret bait tricks. Here there are tons of regulations and you can't leave the pots out. We found it easier with stone crab to just catch them by hand diving, measure them, make sure they are not female, then we are only allowed to take one claw, then we have to set them free again (quite a pain). A novice (we are novices) could starve to death trying to catch enough of the little buggers for a meal (lol).
We go out and have fun trying, but always end up at the local fish market and just buy what we want, invite friends, and have a crab boil any way, good times. The last 5 or 6 times we had crab boils, we just went straight to the fish market bought what we needed, ( didn't bother with the boat and still had a blast.
Actually to be honest we do the same thing when spear fishing (we suck at it, but we have a blast trying), and the same during Lobster season, we suck at it, but boy is it fun, we still go out every year in mini season, my wife and our friends all love Florida lobster, I suspect even if I was good at catching them we would end up at the fresh market anyway (lol).
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Slightly off topic, but when I was last in Donegal Killybegs of all places and in the summer time I couldn't find a crab or lobster to buy for love nor money...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You must have been really unlucky! ;-) Or maybe it was during the red tide? I think it was in 2012 when it went all the way along the west coast wiping out pretty much everything...
When I lived up in Donegal I used to just chuck the pots in from the shore on a low tide to catch them.

Nearly finished my Hakas and cant wait to bring out the pots soon. Will keep you all posted

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll never admit to it but there may have been something potting done from my AI ..

.. a though it didn't involve Crustaceans :o

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Florida Lobster mini season is this Wed and Thursday....are you headed out, Bob?

I was keen to try it w snorkel gear this year, but managed to get a case of vertigo two weeks ago that has me putting plans on hold.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unfortunately I'm really busy workwise right now and traveling way too much. Since the wifes company sold the store down in key west we haven't been down there at all since early spring, just too darn busy.
FE

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is a video of the Canadian built Scotty Power Puller that I use here in Southern California to pull my crab and lobster hoop nets. I use anywhere from 120' to 200' of rope in the areas that I work so the puller really helps...especially with the arthritis in my hands.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YBSRafge480" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://youtu.be/YBSRafge480

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Saba Slayer wrote:
Here is a video of the Canadian built Scotty Power Puller that I use here in Southern California to pull my crab and lobster hoop nets. I use anywhere from 120' to 200' of rope in the areas that I work so the puller really helps...especially with the arthritis in my hands.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YBSRafge480" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://youtu.be/YBSRafge480

Jim

Fantastic setup Jim!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Went crabbing (solo) a week ago on my TI and loaded 3 Danielson traps (fully rigged) on one AMA and it worked great. I rigged them while on the water, because I wanted to clear the boat ramp quickly. I just anchored and pulled everything together . . .

I am going to purchase a Scotty Trap-ease Line Puller. Even though kneeling on the trampoline and pulling line is easier than doing it from a sitting position in the kayak, it is a little awkward. The reviews of the Trap-ease are pretty good, so what the heck. I'm going to mount it to the rear AKA and we'll see how much it helps.

I'm probably going to purchase another trap, just to increase the odds of catching a limit of Dungeness Crab.

Note: I peddled the TI from the rear seat and worked the traps from the tramp. I did reverse my front Mirage Drive, so I could use it to reverse & stop, just before I hooked my buoy. I just pumped them with my hands, which was plenty to stop.

I mentioned this to my dealer and he suggested that I might want to try tying lines to the front pedals and using them to reverse from the rear seat . . . I gotta try that! if it works, I might not have to invest $700 in a Mirage 180 drive.

Good hunting!