Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Im new on the forum, Just bought a TI this summer. I was hoping some of you can give me some advice!
I am looking to add a pole holder on the left side near the front seat for offshore bottom fishing. I already have railblaza holders instaled on the amas for trolling, but I don’t think there study enough for the bottom fishing I do. My wife sits up front and I want to have a pole holder study enough that she can leave her pole in the holder if needed. It has to be study enough to hold up to a grouper or big snapper with the drag locked down!
So far I am planning on buying
http://www.amazon.com/Whitecap-Stainles ... 8S0P0M8814
I could bolt it inside of the mesh pocket area. Plus its removable if I don’t want to take it on a trip.
What do you think? Is that going to be strong enough for bottom fishing?

Any recommendations are welcome!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Long boarder,

I've been thinking same place on my TI.... Only thing... I'm a big guy 6'4" so looking at my knees while pedaling, seems it mite be in the way or even the rod handle extending backwards into cockpit.

Looked at Railblaza Star mounted in bottom of cup/ bottle holder well and then adding extension ....

Finally... Just got a Choc Lab pup..... He wasn't so keen on tramps or steady either, so I bought a 24" wide x 84" long aluminum Utility Ramp fr Tractor Supply. I will use it instead of tramp as a HAKA for storage and seating for dog, along with mounting Rod Holder. The flat ramp carries 900 lb load and has 6" flat crossbars with traction holes so it shud be easy to mount or attach equipment.

They also sell a pair of 12" wide ATV ramps that could be used if you needed something narrower....
Figured I didn't have to mount rod holder On the Yak.... Others have mounted Railblaza rail along gun whale or crosswise near AMA cross tube....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice doggie,.. :mrgreen:

Oh - sorry. What was the subject? :? Steel rod holders?

850, those are cool but I would not put them into plastic. They are non adjustable and make too good a lever, (they will be in the way there all the time). Once you grab them in a rush or fall into them while hiking, somethings going to give. Something plastic.

You could put a large backing plate on them but will it interfere with the rudder lift lines?

I would be more inclined to use a scotty style holder on a nice gunwale-mounted track. But if those steel rod holders do work out, show us how it's done.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for the feedback. I think im going to look into another alternative. The thought of rod holder pulling through the hull is a bit scary. Especially if im 3 miles out!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree with the Scotty rod holders. I've used them several times offshore without problem. I'm not a huge fan go the ram ball because it can loosen if pulled the wrong way.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Final ????

Which side do you mount the Rod Holders on a TI???

Im right=handed…. usually read of leaving Left AMA avail to fold up to bring in fish….

I have a Scotty brand holder, just wondering if its easier to release on My Left or Right….??

Thanks