Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a Tandem Island and I am looking at Fishfinders with GPS. What is a good option? Looking for a mid-priced unit that is tested and small enough for Kayak fishing. As always, sorry if this topic was covered already ad-in-nausium:) Dom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I believe the best midrange option on the market is the Raymarine Dragonfly 7.

However, I have recently decided to go with the Vexilar SP300 unit that combines midrange sonar function combined with Navionics app on your tablet and smartphone. This option is ideal for the TI because it allows for multiple screens to be used for both cockpit positions simultaneously via WiFi transmission. Excellent reviews and also very cheap at $199.00. Easy install and excellent battery life with small, lightweight 12V.

http://sonarphone.mobi/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpFE-tog-N8

I will post my experience with this setup once I get it rigged up and tried out in a couple months. If anyone has experience with this setup please let us know!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, very interesting. I am very curious as to how you make out once installed. Thank you for the first reply. Dom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

unagimon wrote:
I believe the best midrange option on the market is the Raymarine Dragonfly 7.

However, I have recently decided to go with the Vexilar SP300 unit that combines midrange sonar function combined with Navionics app on your tablet and smartphone. This option is ideal for the TI because it allows for multiple screens to be used for both cockpit positions simultaneously via WiFi transmission. Excellent reviews and also very cheap at $199.00. Easy install and excellent battery life with small, lightweight 12V.

http://sonarphone.mobi/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpFE-tog-N8

I will post my experience with this setup once I get it rigged up and tried out in a couple months. If anyone has experience with this setup please let us know!

I was looking over this option on the depth finder. The only thing I don't like is the installation, where you going to put that transducer on a TI? How you going to run the cable to the transducer? I like the idea, but I think a thru hull transducer is the way to go, unless that transducer can fit into the lowrence ready kayaks, which I don't have. Also it's only rated for 240ft. Says waterproof IP66, if not (like the Lowrence), it won't work on a kayak over time, expecially in the hull with any water splashing around.
I've got the Navionics boat app on my Samsung III and it works great for GPS and mapping in combination with a waterproof see thru bag and railblaza holder. I'm thinking just a depth finder is all I need, I don't need structure or fish finder. So I'm looking at this Hummingbird waterproof depth finder with thru hull transducer as the best option ($99), rated for 600 ft, after my lowrence locator takes a final dump.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00417 ... G8FGT0Y15F

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Mark.

I agree that the navionics app is great. It will be even better with sonar integrated.

I plan to fit the transducer into the Lowrance Ready System and then put the box (with sealed battery housing) in the hull within a dry bag to keep it waterproof. I will use Railblaza Screengrabba to mount tablets at each helm when needed. Since the screens run on WiFi they wont need any wires and they will be easy to put anywhere, anytime for 1-2 passengers.

I can also strap an old smartphone to my arm for added viewing options (free wrist strap is included with purchase)

Multiple screens and price seem to be the big advantages for this approach. I will miss the CHIRP downscan imaging for viewing wrecks and structure. I wish it had a 600 ft depth range but 240 ft is ok for most of my fishing applications.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I eagerly await your experience over time with this unit. Hopefully they continue to improve on this technology, sounds promising.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I installed the Lowrance Hook 5 and it works very well. I also mounted it on the left side in the front seat so it doesn't interfere with furling the sail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the Lowrance elite 5 which works for what I need salmon fishing on my AI.
T2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I upgraded to the Hook7 this year and mounted it using the hose clamp type ram mount to the front cross bar. It does not interfere with the sail if I extend it out and down which is more convenient anyway. Previously I had went with the shoot thru hull method but this time I mounted it in the far rear scupper hole using the Lowrance scupper kit. My Tandem is a 2014 so no Lowrance ready option. I really wanted to go with the TI model for the advanced mapping but decided with all the splashing that goes on a touchscreen was a bad idea. It saved me a good deal of money as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Garmin has some nice sized ones that fit right at the front. The echoMaps and Strikers are nice.

I have Raymarine Dragonfly 6 with navionics, great little fishfinder/GPS combo