Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am going on a chartered offshore kayak trip in Pensacola in may. I have both a TI and an outback. I usually fish from the outback as it will get into a lot of places and is more maneuverable than the ti. Fishing from the ti also seems more complicated with the akas/amas, but it seems like offshore might be begging for the TI. Which kayak should I bring on this trip?

we are actually planning on a couple days of fishing in shore on our own also, I may just bring both :mrgreen:

2018 AI2- Dune

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You will be fine with the Outback, I have fished off-shore with several different Hobie kayaks and what I have found is. 1) I just don't like the PA for rough water, it is a little tippy. If the waves are predictable or it's flat the PA has tons of room for all your gear 2) the Outback doesn't have the room of the PA but it is far more stable for some reason when the water gets sloppy. 3) if your going with people that don't have AI/TI then what I do is just take the hull and one Ama setup with a tramp, I leave the other Ama/Akas and sail at the house. This is my favorite fishing configuration if I am with a group. You can outpace the PAs and keep up with the Outbacks and you have storage for tackle and a big bag of fish.

In short, bring both.

2012 Hobie PA Dune - Sold
2012 Hobie PA Olive - Sold

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I second the opinion above only would say bring the sail.

Put the left outrigger and tramp on and strap your sail to it. When ready to sail, on a starboard tack, you're covered, and on a port tack jump on the tramp and your weight will offset the sail forces. AI stability and function with a fraction of the bulk.