Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am new to Hobie Island sailing. I have been sailing my new TI for a few months now and would like to meet up with some San Francisco Bay area Island sailors. There are three local Island Clubs listed by Hobie. Currently my interests are just sailing and seeing the sites. Hope to pick up the fishing bug soon. Does anyone have any recommendations on which club to join.

CC & K Island Club (California Canoe & Kayak)
NCKA Island Club (NorCal Kayak Anglers)
Class One Hobie Island Club (Wind Toys)

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ncka has a great group of guys that are pretty hardcore fisherman, full disclosure I'm one ( and been a member forever)

Cck seems to do the most get together and such, and the folks are awesome.
Love the windtoys dealer, but haven't seen much in the way of gettogether.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Jim. I work for Wind Toys and am organizing an Island club. The main store is in Santa Rosa, sort of far from the bay. But we have opened a new store in Sausalito. Which now allows us to connect with and have activities on the bay. John, the owner has over twenty five years of Hobie Cat racing and sailing. A go fast kind of guy. That is why the Wind Toys Island Club is actually..Hobie Island Fleet 1. That is Fleet as in racing. The Bay and the boat are a perfect match. Looking to organize races of assorted lengths as well as other events. Look for Hobie Island Fleet 1 on Facebook and check us out. We are having a Summer Sailstice event on the 20th. Check it out, check us out and join us for Island time.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Hobie Cat folks are having a race called the Shark Feed next weekend on Bodega Bay. They will be launching from Doran beach. We have an open invitation come share the beach.

I will be there next Sunday, the thirteenth. I plan on racing to red and white buoy at the entrance of Tomales bay (marked on charts as buoy "Tb") and back. As the crow flies it is a ten mile trip total for going out and back. Of course conditions will dictate how long the round trip takes.

All I need is one more boat, or at worst I can race against the clock. I propose Le Mons style start( Boats on beach pointed into the bay. Racer are X distance away. Start the race, run to boats and go, go, go)vs a sailing style start with a five minute count down to an on the water start. These are adventure racing machines!! Not simple sailboats.

I see three Classes AI single, TI single, TI double. Use any or all three of the drive options: Sail, pedal, paddle. Bring along the common sense gear. Lets be safe, fun, and fast. in that order. Please RSVP and share the word.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Join all of them. That way you have something involving the TI going on 3 times as often.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Try looking at Meetup.com. There are several kayak groups to choose from. Occasionally they boat in larger bodies of water which might interest you in a TI. Ive done a couple of trips with them in my TI on tomales bay, lake berryessa