Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sunshine Coast Queensland. At present there is no club here. Most sailors belong to the one based in Brisbane. Most events there are on the south side of the Brisbane River. This means a 200k round trip.

I do have a Face Book page https://www.facebook.com/adventuresailingkayaks . This is for those who are interested in using their boats to go on sailing/camping trips.

We have 5 guys who go on usually 3 day trips. Some of the destinations are Garry's anchorage Fraser Island, Tangalooma Wrecks, Amity Point Stradbroke Island, Peel Island southern Moreton Bay, Upper Noosa River to name the main ones. We have a few trips planned. Keppel Island this coming September. [sorry this event closed] November's trip is yet to be finalised. Could be Inskip Point giving access to the Great Sandy Strait.

Generally one trip in Autumn and 2 in spring are planned. Most trips require participants to have experience and the proper equipment. Adverse weather can mean trips are postponed or cancelled. Wind over 15 knots or 27.7 ks is considered too strong events will not go ahead. Note using wind apps gives a range of predicted strengths so we use the lowest sated speed but take note of the highest.

Our longest trip is planned End of September 2021. Leaving Urangan Hervey Bay, we will head to Wathumba Creek 46ks away on the inside northern end of Fraser Island. This will be a 4 day trip and require thorough preparation.

I'm hoping a Sunshine Coast Club will form. There are plenty of boats around. We are blessed with great waterways. Noosa River, Maroochydore River, Lake Cootharaba, Golden Beach Caloundra to name a few. Mooloolaba is one of the safest ways out to open sea! A club could cater for day trips ,fishing trips, BBQs, training sessions and other social activities. Due to other commitments I can't lead this but could help. Anyway if your interested please contact me. Cheers Peter.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

G'day Poida!

Keen to get out for a bit of sailing - based in Kallangur, so Sunshine Coast is a much more preferable destination for me that most of the places that the Brisbane club go to (Southside, aargh!!).

Just clicked "follow" on your Facebook page, so will keep an eye out for anything coming up from there.

My wife and I are in our TI - we've only done a single overnighter so far on it (Peel Island), but always keen to do more - hoping to get across to Moreton/Tangalooma etc., and anything else. Of course, doing it with others is more fun/safer.

We've just moved house, so still going through unpacking/sorting - and have a road trip planned for end of July, then a week in NZ in September - but otherwise keen to get out for anything if the planets align for us.

Cheers!
Moikle (Michael)