Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There is a debate on Hobie's Warranty for replacement hulls. Apparently a Hobie customer sent an email to the Attorney General out of California and Hobie offered to warranty his replacement hull? We just want to know what the facts are on this and will this include all customers who have received replacement hulls do to manufacture defect or other?

The thread for this is here:

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/ ... everybody/

I put in a warranty claim and received a new hull and according to the original 2 year warranty I am now out of warranty by 5 months but received a 2018 replacement due to a hull crack. What warranty do I have on my replacement hull?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Any comment from Hobie?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ill give you my opinion: I think the warranty is pretty clear- 2 years (period). Of course subjection after that pending the issue.

Wether someone has received a replacement hull or not should not affect the time of the original warranty. Each hull/replacement should not be expected to be warrantied an additional 1-2 years from when received. If that were the case- replacements could go on indefinitely....

With that said- I have never known Hobie not to honor/replace a defective hull past the warranty period. It all depends on the issue. I had a replacement hull on my 2015 and now have a 2018 hull- I am confident that if I were to have a major issue (perhaps a common problem) that Hobie would work to correct it. Is that in writing- No. Would I demand a replacement- No. Do I expect a new warranty period through 2019- No. Would I pay for an extended warranty if offered on this new hull- perhaps (this was a no cost replacement)

The particular case you mention in the other forum is complicated since the customer paid for a replacement hull. There are some facts missing- The 2 year warranty was well over (4-5 years+?).... yet Hobie honored a replacement hull at a reduced price. This is above and beyond their policy & they didn't have to do that....

Since that hull was purchased and not completely free- the customer demands a warranty on it now that they have another issue. (Is that correct). If I had to purchase a new Hull for lets say ($700), then yes- I would think that it should come with some warranty. Pending the issue of the new hull- (IMO) Hobie has every intention of and would honor any defect on it. We need to better understand what the issue/defect in this case is. Hobie would not just deny a warranty/especially on a new hull.

It almost appears that Hobie is too lenient and supportive with their warranty and folks are demanding even more....

Your case sounds similar to mine- I just received a new 2018 hull on a warranty claim earlier this year. I did not pay for it. I am not outside my 2years. Should this new hull come with an extended warranty past my original period- I guess it depends on the person asking....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

As if "the riddler" didn't know exactly what is going on... It's his friend Kross57 trying his hardest to stir the pot.

He purchased a product that came with a two year warranty. There is no official extension beyond that.

When a hull is outside the 2 year warranty period we, in good faith, in some situations, have offered an extended period of coverage by giving a percentage of coverage... and a charge for the balance... something for the amount of time you had been able to use the original product before failure. In tires they measure the remaining tread depth. For us we have to adjust for usage by years since purchase. "Pro-Rated" is the term used that best describes it. We use that theory and cover the hull for 100% in the first two years and then a scale of 80-60-40% or something for the amount we would offer to cover beyond that. It is NOT official and we are NOT held in any legal way to offer this to every consumer.

We offered a hull to Kross57 and he accepted the offer. Then he wanted to challenge how we came up with the price and the fact that replacements are not offered with a new warranty. Regardless of paying a small (pro-rated) fraction of the cost for the hull, there is no offer to warranty the original purchase beyond the original warranty period purchased with the product. The California Attorney General has an online form, so he could easily make a "claim".

He wanted a warranty with it because he feels that, with that, he is entitled to all of the support functions we offer here at Hobie including access to post in our forums (he has told me so). He was banned for a LOT of reasons last spring.

Our company offered a one year warranty on the replacement hull as a further good faith measure... bonus for him, but that does not include access to these forums to further abuse our forum users and Hobie on our platform.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can’t believe I just wasted 3 hrs of my life reading that thread on that other forum.
Thanks Matt for banning that idiot, before being banned he insulted many of us old timers, who were only trying to help.
FE