Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Oasis Crooked Rudder
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a Hobie Oasis 2017 and noticed that the rudder is crooked. Looks like where the rudder is attached to the hull is screwed on crooked. Is this an issue that I will need to take to a dealer or is there some easy fix I can do. Any help would be appreciated.

ImageOasis 2017 Crooked Rudder by T A

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Best bet is to take it to your dealer and have them file a warranty claim. Since your kayak is new, and under warranty, Hobie will be able to work with you on a resolution.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

Reality is that the "twist" is mostly above water. What is in the water is uniform. Looks pretty normal actually. What looks lik a lean to one side... Is it locked down all the way?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Reality is that the "twist" is mostly above water. What is in the water is uniform. Looks pretty normal actually. What looks lik a lean to one side... Is it locked down all the way?

Yes, it is locked down all the way. It looks like the rudder was not attached to the hull in a vertical line (not sure how much that matters). The part that actually attaches to the hull is off kilter which makes the whole thing off. It just does not line up with the center line of the hull. If it will not cause any major issues then I will not worry about it. It just looked a little off to me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

May be possible to get better alignment. Maybe try loosening the attachment bolts and try to tweak it straight? Your dealer should do that for you if needed.

It likely would not be noticeable (in function) as is, but... it's odd for sure.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys. Same issue here and glad finally reading about it. Using the magnificent Oasis 2014 for three seasons now and enjoying it very much but, reason to complain is the kayak's misalignment. I noticed the problem when a (taller) friend took place at the front seat and rubs the right inner-side of the kayak when pushing forward the mirage drive. The right side of the right pedal touches the inner kayak-side and the left pedal stay's more than far enough so the drive stud not quit 90 degrees with the deck. Now the problem had my full attention and noticed the rear-drive (slight) and the rudder was misaligned to. The rudder is not vertical in the water. Hang up the rigged kayak shows the twisted angle and irritation moves in my brain, a US Hobie product with that price should be proudly close to perfect. I contacted my excellent dealer where i purchase the kayak and together we examine the problem, we compare the Oasis with the same (other color) model and year side by side and they where identic misaligned. The dealer was not aware of the phenomenon and solved the front drive problem by raising the right drive clamp with spacing material. The drive itself also needs to be fill up to avoid clearance with the hull and loose feeling. The rudder down position isn't that easy to resolve, the rudder is not vertical when in straight ahead steering position, the rudder-hinge is optical under an angle, inside the hull you can see the screw-points are not straight vertical. Dealer is still searching for options. I compare with a friend's older Oasis (identical but without the Hobie tag on the stern) and his hull is perfect all the way. Modification of the hinge-holes crossing my mind.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:59 am 
Site Admin

Understand that a rotomolded product is not a highly technical piece of equipment and they do vary due to color, cooling, age of the molds and much more. They are also commonly hand shaped, so can be asymetrical of you were to really look. None of this have anything to do with the basic functions of the Kayak.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Absolute plumb straight is not essential as it is a moving part that is constantly moved to compensate many characteristics. ie If you want to go straight ahead, environmental issues will have a greater impact than slight non alignment of rudder in static position. Its a bit like worrying about your steering wheel car badge being horizontal when you are going straight ahead. Except you can't see it to let it annoy you.

It will still full lock left or right and all positions inbetween.

I have my centre hatch misaligned about 10 degrees, doesn't affect the function but does irritate me when I look at it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Mine was the same. I couldn't be bothered with claiming or anything as the dealer is a distance away and it was a demo version (I did wonder if that's why it had been made a demo). Anyways I cut the head of a bolt the same size as the mounting bolt and stuck it in the end of my soldering iron. I then screwed that into the bottom mount and turned it on. Once I saw the hull start to soften I simply pushed the mounting nut sideways till it was in vertical alignment with the top nut. My rudder is now straight.

Is it worth the bother? I think you will find that a rudder that is not in vertical alignment will turn better to one side. I had instances reversing when I couldn't get the kayak to turn at all to one side.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I bought a second hand Oasis once and noticed that when looking from above straight down, the base of the Twist & Go rudder assembly was slightly askew, causing the hull to track to one side. Upon further inspection, the hull was dented in- probably as a result of someone dropping the boat on the rudder mount either from the loading/unloading process since it is so heavy.

I don't know if this is the same issue, but I was able to use a heat gun to soften the area and by reaching inside with a gloved hand, push the softened plastic while pulling the rudder base slowly to get it straightened out.

Worked perfectly.

Post subject: New Oasis Crooked Rudder
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I’ve had my share of twisted, crooked rudders and I remove the rudder then clamp it between to pieces of really flat 3/16 metal plate, aluminum, or steel, then let it sit in the sun for a day and overnight to cool slowly.
The next day I remove the clamps and the rudder is usually much straighter.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkImage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Meanwhile I construct a (temporally) solution, added some washers between the top-row bolts of the rudder-blade and steering is improved in my opinion, no complains anymore. After-ale still a little disappointed of the misalignment of the Oasis 2014, mine is green and I find a blue-one (2014 to, same serie?) with the same issue at my dealers place, guess some work to do by the new owner. I’m sailing the Oasis with a furler system on a rebuild surfing-sail and a small kite as foresail, the mast is a bamboo reinforced radio-antenna. Amazing adventures guaranteed, never happy returning to shore. Hobie improved my life.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobieitis wrote:
Meanwhile I construct a (temporally) solution, added some washers between the top-row bolts of the rudder-blade and steering is improved in my opinion, no complains anymore. After-ale still a little disappointed of the misalignment of the Oasis 2014, mine is green and I find a blue-one (2014 to, same serie?) with the same issue at my dealers place, guess some work to do by the new owner. I’m sailing the Oasis with a furler system on a rebuild surfing-sail and a small kite as foresail, the mast is a bamboo reinforced radio-antenna. Amazing adventures guaranteed, never happy returning to shore. Hobie improved my life.

Thank you for this advices... I noted that...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just bought my 2021 Oasis, steering SUCKED so dropped it at the dealer yesterday. When I went to pick it up today HE ACTUALLY pointed out the misaligned rudder as mentioned above. What a shame for a $4,600.00 investment. But our Lynx rocks!