Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a Mirage Outback and intend to fish the Florida Intracoastal and a little ocean. I was offered a substantial discount for accessories which is going to expire soon. What accessories (excluding electronics) am I most likely to need?
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would get a leash for your Mirage drive. $15-$30 is nothing compared to the cost of replacing a new MD 180 w/kickup. If you go in the ocean, and you launch in the surf, everything you care about keeping should be tethered or attached to your yak somehow. I didn't even get rolled, just knocked on the side and everything was secured, except for my knife... which I couldn't find in the surf wash.

Get some kind of small cooler for icing drinks. Or get a fish bag that can do double duty as cooler / fish icer downer. Depending on if you think you'll be fishing with live bait any, the Hobie livewells are pretty slick. Not really an option for me with the Passport 10.5. My create bag and Sandtrakz wheels fill up the whole rear well area. Now if Hobie were to make a small livewell kit that fit in one of the 8" hatches, I'd be all over that. :D

“Do not try and bend the spoon, that’s impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth… there is no spoon.”

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Safety items......a good, comfortable fishing PFD, first aid kit, safety flag with light, throw line if you need to be towed, hand held compressed air horn, whistle, small reflecting mirror to grab attention if you are disabled in the ocean, 3# anchor and at least 100' of line, basic tools in case you need to service the Mirage drive, a few zip ties, T-handle for the paddle, fish finder with built in gps.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Get a Waterproof VHF radio if you plan on kayaking offshore and a waterproof bag for your phone. Also a leash for your fishing pole, paddle and safety kit and anything else that could fall off. I have turned the boat on its side just getting on and off.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you don't know, you don't need it. Keep it simple. If new to kayaking, baby steps as you gain experience and confidence. Then you'll find out what you actually need. Obviously a PFD to begin. Leash everything.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you are going off shore - get a good vhf radio! period! needless to say a good comfortable pfd -so you will wear it- at least a basic compass if you are planning on getting out of sight of land. {who knows, you may be lucky -or unlucky- enough to hook into something big enough to tow you out} then the usual stuff, first aid kit for the eventual getting a hook stuck in you, needless to say leashes for everything you do not want to lose. bilge pump.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can you recommend a decent VHF radio btw?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an older Cobra VHS radio, never needed to use it but after 8 years the battery still holds a charge well.