Revo 11 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Oasis 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Compass 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Compass Duo 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Something else (see what i have said in the messages) 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 4
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So, I am in the market for purchasing some replacement yaks (upgrading from a pair of perception swifty 9.5s so a fairly large upgrade) and I have been at an impass of the options out there. I'll tell you what i am looking for any the main models i have at least narrowed it more down towards. So up front i have a subaru crosstrek with the OEM crossbars (e.g. 150lb max weight) and two sets of yakima jay hooks (which dependent on the option i may have to directly put on rack or get some other option).

I am specifically looking for a yak that can do pretty much everything except fishing (i have literally no real interest in fishing from a kayak but i know most are suited towards it). I would like to learn to sail in them (so thats like all the models anyways), want to be able to get into some lowish creek/juniper springs water but also would like to be able to take onto open ocean safely (am open to the idea of the ama sidekicks as an add on for this). The biggest variable is that i would like to be able to also scuba dive off this kayak if possible which really just comes down to a weight limit (and if overweighting them is truly concerning as i have never taken a yak to the limit).

So at this point i have narrowed it down to really a pair of Revolution 11s (since no matter what i want to plan for 2 people) which puts me just below weight capacity on the car, an Oasis (or compass duo), or possibly the compass (but that one actually puts me over the rated weight limit when paired as two and i'm not sure about two of them on jay hooks anyways).

So what i was wondering is if someone has used these kayaks at length in some of these variations and what they would or would not suggest doing in those kayaks (open to other thoughts as well on the subject, needs to be sit on top at this point given the open water and intent of possibly being in and out of the boat). Oh and i guess i should mention this boat would for the most part be used in florida. Appreciate the time for the responses.

I lean heavily at the moment towards the revo 11 as a set but have some concerns when talking about using it in open water (but amas might change that) and i would likely be trying to add gear to it (e.g. scuba or camping) and worry about hitting or exceeding that capacity (not really sure what happens beyond being lower in the water with hitting weight capacity since i am well under any of the capacity of boats ive looked at). The oasis i would have the concern of if i want to take it out on my own as a sailing vessel and what i have read from here about the issues surrounding that when not weighting the front passenger.

Such a difficult decision when all the vessels look awesome ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Adventure Island.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have much experience with an Oasis, using it both tandem and solo, in many conditions and situations. I do have and use the sidekick amas, and it is outfitted with a chartplotter and rudder-mounted eVolve (Torqeedo) motor. It has been 10 miles offshore, stuffed into 3-5’ seas, paddled far into the shallow of bayous and estuaries, and up and down many rivers. We have logged several 25-30 mile days. It is fairly manageable by one person, in the water or out. The only place I feel it really comes up short is sailing. The mast is too far aft and the sail rig too small/flexible for serious sailing without modification. We almost always have the sailkit on but I now mainly use that for supplemental power downwind in a stiff breeze.

Peter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

we put 2017 AI on a 2018 toyota prius car top, gingerly, as it maxes out the weight, barely able for 2 of us to do.
you want to carry scuba gear so enter and exit kayak
look at how fusioneng has modified TI’s here on forum he goes extreme but they work.
good luck