Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Lynx model
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Today I discovered the new Lynx model. I am less than a year into a new Passport, so I'm out of the market, but it is an interesting boat. It is still $2,700 even though it is made out of the cheaper materials (not single rototilled), and has the non-integrated, drop-in insert drive well. Those are my impressions of the negatives.

The positives are the new markets it opens up. It is much lighter at 45lbs, and stackable. I like the hybrid cruise-fishing aspects. It rides high out of the water and has accessory connections (H-Rail, track) for a handhold, lowrance, live well, and a powerpoint anchor. The introduction videos show a very stable platform, which will attract many kayakers, especially new ones, elderly, unsteady, etc. While I'm not in the market currently, I appreciate that Hobie is constantly revising their product offerings to appeal to so many. The features on this would make it a serious contender if I was choosing between the Compass and Lynx in a future purchase.

I love that little back bay in Oceanside where they film so many of these commercials. I used to SUP there when I was in classes at REI. Great place! Seeing the commercials always has that bit of nostalgia for me when I see them.

Post subject: Re: New Lynx model
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Puto wrote:
TodayIt is still $2,700 even though it is made out of the cheaper materials (not single rototilled),

Hull technology is ACE-TEC, develloped by BIC in France.

Not so cheap... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

felvic wrote:
Puto wrote:
TodayIt is still $2,700 even though it is made out of the cheaper materials (not single rototilled),

Hull technology is ACE-TEC, develloped by BIC in France.

Not so cheap... :wink:

my feeling is that it isn't a lower cost technique. The Lynx 11 is a very interesting addition to the Hobie line, light weight and unsinkable.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ohhh, I appreciate the education. I thought it was like a thermo-foil type process, similar to the passports. I'd be interested in more comparatives of one-piece rototilled vs ACE-TEC. I'm a little surprised, no offense MM, that Hobie didn't market the new use of this tech with an education campaign. I mean, for the first time the company is using a novel technology, customers would want to know what it is and what makes it better, or at least comparable, to one-piece root-tilled.