Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just installed a Harken pulley system for my Passport 12. It comes with 1 inch wide straps that support the kayak. Is it ok to use those straps if I keep my kayak upside down for storage or do I need larger straps. My understanding is that Hobie wants support to be 2 inches or greater but now i am not sure if that is necessary by some posts that i have seen. Anyone else buy different straps and which brand or style. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You shouldn't have any issues with your Compass being stored upside-down in the standard 1" webbing slings (especially if the boat/storage area isn't subject to extreme heat) as the Compass is a relatively light boat, though you may want to alter the forward &aft sling/strap placement slightly each time you use/store the boat as a precaution. You can easily purchase 2"+ webbing straps (and even kits with buckles, etc. online if you like that configuration but start to notice any deformation on the rails or otherwise.
I had some 2-1/2" and 3" webbing left over from other projects that I ended up using with the hoisters as slings for my canoes, but opted to make some 'bunk rack' -style (PVC pipes as rails to provide support under the chines of the hull, mounted to slotted strut channels as cross braces) supports to store my Tandem Island and Adventure Island hulls upright (mostly because I wanted to be able to store their accessories with them).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've always used a second strap between the eye-bolts once my kayak was raised. I do it as a backup mainly; my kayak hangs over my wife's car. :) By placing the straps side-by-side you would be distributing the weight over a bigger area.

Harken Hoisters aren't cheap. But they are the Cadillac (Hobie?) of hoists.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thank you both for replies and suggestions. Very much appreciated