Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey everyone. I am looking for any ideas to seal off the mirage drive well. I have a PA17 with a trolling motor and the well all the way in the front tends to get water in the vessel even with the cassette when on higher speeds.

The only idea I have come up with so far is to try to wrap the cassette plug with a stick on foam strip.

If you have any solutions let me know! Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

temporarily or permanent?
Get a thick piece of closed-cell foam and cut to desired size. Taper it so it's thicker at the top. Jam it in the hole.
Or place a flat solid peice of something over it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We had several TI’s with twin outboards, and 600 sq ft of sail, needless to say they were very very fast. I always pedaled, whenever underway, (my exercise), from the front seat. One down side was even with a plug in the rear drive well, the rear seat area filled with water, (water comes up like a gusher and fills the rear seat area, when going fast). What I did on all my boats was to first put adhesive vinyl over the mirage opening on the underside , (to maintain the hull form, (after your all done you can remove the vinyl).
I then sprayed the inside of the mirage well with urethane mold release spray, (so the clear silicone doesn’t stick).
Make sure you don’t get any spray on the mirage plug, it needs to be clean and dry.
I then coated the underside of the mirage plug with clear ge silicone, (judge how thick it needs to be, by looking at it). I then plugged the drive plug into the mirage hole, (oozing the excess out the sides). Once the mirage plug is snapped in, you then just pump in more silicone around the sides to completely fill the gaps around the plug. I takes at least a couple tubes of silicone, and you need to work fairly fast, because it does start to setup quickly.
You have to let the silicone dry for several days before trying to remove the plug. But you can take the boat out the next day if you want, ( I did), just don’t remove the drive plug till the silicone is dry. It’s a bit of work to get the plug out the first time, but after that it pops in and out easily, (mark the plug so you know which is front and back, (won’t fit backwards, or in any other drive well).
I also did one with great stuff foam, (from home depot), that also worked, but the foam doesn’t last long in the sun and ocean environment.
Hope this helps
FE

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

What about clear packing tape? https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... cking+tape

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Basically anything you have handy will work on the bottom, packing tape would be fine.
Keep in mind that silicone on the underside of the boat is a pain to trim once it’s dry, (gotta use a knife)
Fe