Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The age old question. Thinking about putting down a deposit on a 2022 outback or maybe a pro angler 12.

The outback looks great but I have some concerns. Mainly the wetter ride, smaller cockpit and then having to use the load assist so you don’t flatten the rudder. In either case I’ll be truck loading and or using a cart.

The pro anglers look awesome. My only concerns on the pro angler would be the extra weight and maybe less responsive control and maneuverability. I’m currently in a 37” wide diablo so I’d expect the maneuverability to be similar. Especially when I try to turn that diablo hard with the skeg down :x. Also have a couple little ones I’d like to take out with me on calm days but I don’t know how doable that is in an outback.

For anyone else who’s had the same dilemma I’d like to know what route you went and what the deciding factor was.

Thanks in advance :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What makes you think the Outback is a wetter ride?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just being lower to the water than the pro angler. I’m pretty sure you’re going to get splashed no matter what in chop regardless of the kayak so it’s probably not that big of a deal.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

this response is a bit late. i'm sure you're a kayak owner by now.

i also truck carry my new 2022 Outback. i put it in the bed of the truck. it's longer than my Compass, so i do use my BoomBox T-bone bed extender anytime i am using the Outback. i dont use the rudder protector thing. it's put away in my garage all brand new looking.

i load my kayak tail in first. i tuck the nose of the kayak up on the red flag for protection and lift the rear up on the bed extender, then go to the nose, pick it all up and push it inside. i have never had an issue. this lets me access the front of a kayak so i can mess with a battery or something.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yessir. Picked up my new outback last week. Now I just need the dang seat to get here. Whether on the boat ramp out the back of the truck or on the cart I plan to back it in and back it out when loading/unloading. Got my ctug to where it can fit securely to the front or back. Also have a storage cart for the garage that makes rotating front and back pretty simple.